The calendar is now showing May and you can expect the news to come in at a faster pace. Don’t miss our article about what to expect this month if you haven’t read it already. In the latest edition of Under The Tents, we talk about the Mass-Hysteria party, an offsite at Balboa Park, Big Willy, free stuff, and more!
Here’s a look at the news you might have missed:
- Hannah Lynn will be returning to SDCC this year with more of her art, coloring books, and collector cards. Hannah has created an event page on Facebook with information on her table that can be found at table B-02 in the exhibitor area. You’ll also be able to grab a free collector card at her table which are limited to 200 per day.
- Fantasy novel series Red’s Planet will have a presence at this year’s SDCC. According to their upcoming events page on the Red’s Planet website, they will be having a panel and signing, more information TBA. Be sure to keep reading Under The Tents for that information when it is released.
- New York Times best selling author Scott Sigler has SDCC listed on his appearances page on his website. No word on where or when you’ll find Scott but that information will be updated when we get it. Scott is the author of The Generations Trilogy among others and his new book Alone releases in October 2016.
- Rachel Dukes, artist and creator of Mixtape Comics has SDCC on her appearances sidebar on her website. Rachel draws for BOOM Studios on various titles including the popular Steven Universe series. For more about Rachel Dukes and her work, you can see it on the Mixtape Comics website.
- As mentioned in the previous UTT, Tess Fowler tweeted out that she should be at SDCC this year. You can find her work on titles such as Rat Queens and The Rascals.
— Tess Fowler (@TessFowler) April 26, 2016
- San Diego based Little Vampires have SDCC on their calendar of events page. No word on where you’ll be able to find Little Vampires at the SDCC but stay tuned!
- Big Willy, a new action-adventure graphic novel, will be debuting at SDCC according to the website Gee Comics. Purchasing the first in the series of four of Big Willy and another comic, Super ‘n Duper, will get you a free SDCC exclusive comic. You can find Big Willy at the Breygent Marketing booth during SDCC.
- Writer and artist Erik Burnham, who has worked on several titles from Marvel, Image Comics, and IDW among others, has SDCC on his convention appearance list on his website. No clarification if Erik will be in artist alley or elsewhere at the con but when that information pops up, we will update you.
- Theresa DeLucci recently showed off on Twitter the tote bag that publisher Tor will be giving out at SDCC. The bag will be in celebration of the Twin Peaks book release that comes out this October. Don’t confuse this for the returning Twin Peaks television show, no word on if the show will have a presence at SDCC this year but at least we know the book will in the form of these tote bags!
— Theresa DeLucci (@tdelucci) April 27, 2016
- Maker of geeky inspired cosmetics, Espionage Cosmetics, recently created an event page on Facebook for SDCC. They will be returning to San Diego and can be found at the Her Universe Fashion Show. The event page says more information and details to come. If you’re a fan of the line of products Espionage Cosmetics puts out, including the popular nail wraps, make sure to join the event page.
- The popular music and comedy duo, Paul and Storm, will be at w00stock 8.0 this year during SDCC. Listed on their shows page, they will be joining Adam Savage of Mythbusters fame, Wil Wheaton, and more on July 21st at the Balboa Theatre. You can check out our events page for w00stock 8.0 for more information!
- The Real Tampa Bay Ghostbusters will putting on a Ghostbusters themed Mass-Hysteria party during SDCC for a third year in a row. No other details on their event page on Facebook yet besides that it will be back at the Werewolf bar on July 22nd at 6 PM. This could potentially be an extra fun party with the new Ghostbusters film releasing this year. Who You Gonna Call??
- In news that might bum you out, it was announced on Facebook that the Marked Men Party at SDCC will not be happening this year. The Marked Men Party however will plan on returning in full force in 2017. Argh matey!
- Avatar Legacy plans to hold another Avatar: The Last Airbender panel at SDCC this year according to a tweet from the Avatar Legacy organizer. This will be the organizations seventh year at SDCC and the panel will be dedicated to the love of the fans of the series.
Avatar Legacy SDCC panel update and general blabbing https://t.co/nHVWtTlNC3
— Avatar_Mom (@gaangster) April 29, 2016
- Balboa Park will be home to an offsite SDCC event this year, the Cute, Cute, Kawaii After Party. Tickets for the event that take place at the Inamori Pavilion on July 22nd are already on sale according to the site page. The party will have a cosplay contest, J-pop music videos, hors d’oeuveres, cocktails, and more.
- Brace yourselves Funko fans, the SDCC Funko exclusives announcements are coming! According to a tweet from Funko, fans can expect to see this year’s announcements start rolling in sometime in late June. We all know the hysteria the Funko exclusives create, stay tuned for more information!
@darthmaul1309 Probably late June!
— Funko (@OriginalFunko) April 29, 2016
- Co-Executive producer of the show The Librarians, Mark A. Altman, recently sent out a tweet implying he’ll be at SDCC. Could it be for The Librarians? Mark also had a hand in the film Free Enterprise, and while he attends SDCC most years, maybe he will be attending for something Star Trek related. Only time will tell, Captain!
— Mark A. Altman (@markaaltman) April 30, 2016