San Diego Comic-Con 2017 is officially this week, which is both as AMAZING OMG as it is TERRIFYING OMG. We’ve still got a lot of news to cover here in the next three days — including updates on artists and exhibitors.
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- GUNNAR Optiks is returning to SDCC with their third annual GUNNAR Guardians Giveaway. From July 20-22, they’ll be giving away prize packs worth $600 twice a day, once at 11AM, then at 2PM each day. The prize packs contain swag from retailers such as GUNNAR themselves, Razer, Filthy Casual, Bandai Namco, Perfect World, McFarlane Toys, Hydro74, and Stelekon. You’ll have to follow their Twitter to find out where they’re hiding downtown. When you find them, simply tell them the secret password: David Hasselhoff is my Dad! They’re also running an online contest for those who can’t be in San Diego. Find all the details on their contest site here.
— GUNNAR Optiks (@GUNNAROptiks) July 16, 2017
- Artist Hai-Na-Nu Saulque, whom you may know as Nooligan, posted a very creative Instagram video to show off what he’s bringing to SDCC Small Press Table #Q-09. It’s definitely worth a watch.
- Disney artist Neysa Bové may be at D23 this weekend, but that doesn’t mean she’s stopped preparing for SDCC. She took to Instagram to post her latest original she’s bringing to Gallery Nucleus’ Booth #2643.
💙Brunette pinup💙 New original for Comic Con!!!💙#girlpower #art #design #cute #fun #illustration #instalove #picoftheday #photooftheday #igers #igdaily #instamood #drawingoftheday #smile #arte #illustracion #dessin #neysabove #lovely #kawaii #gifts #stars #dc #comiccon #comiccon2017 #SDCC #sdcc2017 #pinup #1960s #heart
- Visit Kelly McKernan at Booth #934 to get your hands on these fabric zipper bags she’s bringing with her.
— Kelly McKernan (@Kelly_McKernan) July 15, 2017
- One of our favorites, Camilla d’Errico, posted this video to show us how her framings are coming. She also showed off her haunting Dorian Gray finished piece. Head to Booth #4723 to find these and a lot more from her.
I did it! 😄 I finished framing all my drawings for #SDCC. ❤ I tapped into my nerd powers and got em done! 💪😁 Im so excited to go to #SanDiegoComicCon! 😆 It's going to be amazing. Come and see me at my booth #4723! I'll be there being my nerdy self all week! 🤓😘 #superpowers #willpower #weekendwarrior
Well well look who's ready to come with me to #SanDiegoComicCon 😁 My little Dorian Gray is all done baby! 😎 I'm immensely happy I finished him in time and I'll be able to have him for the convention. He's one of my fav literary characters.😍 What about you lovelies? Which classic character do you have a special place in your heart? 💖 Mr. Darcy perhaps? Hamlet? 🤔📚 #badboy #favoritecharacter #weekendvibes
- Artist Chris Lee posted another of his Star Wars prints he’ll have with him at Booth #1535.
- BeKyoot Inc. is bringing ALL THE KYOOTS to SDCC this year. Booth #5151 will be the kyootest booth at the con.
- Artist Sean Forney took to Instagram to show us his finished He-Man, Wonder Woman, and Harley Quinn pieces he’ll have at Table #AA-15 in Artists Alley.
- Artist Diana Leto posted another work-in-progress she’s getting ready for SDCC. Find her and her amazing work at Big Wow Comic Fest’s Booth #1300.
- Artist Scott C is going to have these awesome enamel pins (along with his new shorts) at Gallery Nucleus’ Booth #2643.
— Scott C. (@scottlava) July 16, 2017
- Make a beeline to Agnes Garbowska’s Table #GG-17 in Artists Alley to get your hands on her Wolverine/X-23 watercolor.
— Agnes Garbowska (@AgnesGarbowska) July 16, 2017
- Justin Harder is much more that foul-mouthed stick figures, and he shows that in these touchingly brilliant original works he’s bringing to CLAUS Studios’ Small Press Table #O-08.
Proud of these stories and even prouder to get 'em out to the masses next week in San Diego. If you've got an idea and you're waiting around for someone to tell you it's good enough to make, keep waiting. I'd rather just make it. I draw a lot of fan art figures, recently a lot of potty-mouthed stick figures, and I love exploring such varying ways of visual communication and design and motion graphics, but creating these properties from the ground up is my biggest pleasure. 'If you goto your grave without painting your masterpiece it will not get painted. No one else can paint it. Only you.' – Gordon Mackenzie. Come by our booth this week @comic_con and pick one up, they're nice stories and they've all got heart by the truckloads. ————— #MiddleSchoolEarth #ShelfLife #NOAH #FindingHappiNess #smallpress #illustration #writing #creating #originalcharacter #original #books #selfpublish #happi #drago #comics #comiccon #CLAUS #CLAUSAF
- Stop by Booth #5007 in the Exhibit Hall from 12PM-3PM on Friday, July 21 and Saturday, July 22 to meet cosplayer Joanie Brosas. She’ll have these prints with her along with some stickers and more merchandise.
- By now, we’re sure you’ve heard they’ve announced the identity of the 13th Doctor for Doctor Who. Syfy wants to know what you think about it and is soliciting questions for SDCC via Twitter. Does this mean they’ll have the whole cast there? It seems likely to us, but nothing has been confirmed yet.
— SYFY (@SYFY) July 16, 2017
- Artist Rhiannon Owens is working feverishly to add just the right tones to her Medusa piece she’ll have at Table #FF-03 in Artists Alley. Just one of her many beautiful pieces you’ll find there.
— Rhiannon Owens (@RhiannonDrewIt) July 16, 2017
- Geek & Sundry invite you to Conival at the Marine Terrace in the Marriott Marquis and Marina. There, you’ll be able to play a variety of games, some not yet released, to your heart’s content. The good news – you don’t need a badge to join in the fun. Find out what they’ll have at their website.