We hate being the bearers of bad news. We get just as disappointed as anyone else when an artist or exhibitor says they won’t be at San Diego Comic-Con. However, with great power comes great responsibility, and it’s our responsibility to report everything SDCC-related, good and bad. Don’t worry; there’s good news in here, too.
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- Gecco Corp is bringing Siegmeyer from Dark Souls to San Diego Comic-Con as an exclusive this year, available at Gecco Booth #4931. The 1/6 scale statue was entirely sculpted by hand, and the chainmail of the prototype seen under the armor was woven and produced in the same way as real armor, using small metal rings. It retails for $299.99, and you can pre-order for convention pick-up now.
- Do you like Funko’s Funkast? Do you want to win an SDCC exclusive? Just share Funko’s Funkast blog post, and you could win an SDCC Exclusive Supreme Leader Snoke Super Sized Pop!.
- Outlander author Diana Gabaldon has teased us in the past as to whether or not she will be at SDCC this year (we already know Outlander will have a panel sometime during the con). Now we know that her attendance depends on the miracle of childbirth. As long as her grandchild arrives on time, she says she will be at SDCC this July.
I'm not going to NYC in July, so no, afraid not. (Going to San Diego CC in July, if grandchild shows up on time…) https://t.co/hbdyEXSYff
— Diana Gabaldon (@Writer_DG) June 7, 2017
- Stanley “Artgerm” Lau is certainly in full SDCC prep mode. He showed us via Twitter his new Pepper art print he’s making for SDCC.
— Stanley Artgerm Lau (@Artgerm) June 6, 2017
- NASA-JPL engineer Kim Steadman tweeted that she will be on an SDCC panel this year about the “Science of Star Wars.” We’ll have to keep an eye on when and where this panel will be.
Looks like I am going to be on a "Science of Star Wars" panel at #SDCC2017. I will confirm the time and location closer to comic con.
— Kim Steadman (@SpaceGirlKim) June 6, 2017
- Apparently, eight is enough for artist Mike Mitchell. After appearing at SDCC for eight years in a row, he tweeted that he is taking 2017 off.
Just a heads up to those who have been asking, I won't be at SDCC this year. Taking a year off after 8 in a row.
— Mike Mitchell (@sirmitchell) June 6, 2017
- Danger is his last name, actually. Illustrator Daniel Danger replied to Mike Mitchell to tell us all he won’t be at SDCC, either.
i dont even know how to go about attending SDCC legitimately so dont look for me there either. https://t.co/FuDE2Vdqgt
— Daniel Danger (@tinymediaempire) June 6, 2017
- Comic book artist Cameron Stewart also bowed out of SDCC this year.
- We hate to bring bad news, but we have one more cancellation to announce: Our friends at Supernatural Wiki announced they won’t be attending SDCC 2017, which means that the Supernatural fan party Wayward Cocktails also won’t be back this year. Supernatural Wiki hopes to be back in 2018, however, with Wayward Cocktails.
I am devo that I won't be going to #SDCC this year. But I hope I will be back, with Wayward Cocktails, in 2018!
— SupernaturalWiki #SaveWayward (@SuperWiki) June 7, 2017
- Comic historian Arlen Schumer will be giving a visualecture celebrating the centennial of visionary artist Jack Kirby at SDCC on Saturday, July 22. Exact time and location are still to be announced.
- Disney artist James Silvani has officially closed his commission list for SDCC. If you didn’t get in touch with him in time, he’ll still have plenty of his great headshots to offer.
— San Francisco Comic Con AA B3 (@SilvaniArt) June 6, 2017
- We’re sure many of you enjoy that monthly box of nerdy goodness that is Loot Crate. Every year, they bring something special to SDCC. They haven’t announced their plans yet, but we’ll look for an announcement from them soon.
Hi! Our SDCC plans will be announced soon, so stay tuned for that. 🙂
— Loot Crate (@lootcrate) June 6, 2017
- Women in Comics NYC Collective International are going to be very busy during San Diego Comic-Con. Not only will they have a booth on the Exhibit Room floor, H-09, they will also have an offsite event at the San Diego Public Library on Wednesday, July 18, and an on-site panel at SDCC on Friday, July 20. Reply to their Facebook Event to let them know they’ll see you around.
- Scott Hattox posted a work-in-progress of yet another great piece he’ll have at his booth, #1829, at SDCC this year. This is a haunting 12×26 acrylic on canvas of our favorite Sith Lord, Darth Vader.
- Artist Camilla d’Errico is making progress on her Pikachu from her “Surreal Safari” series for SDCC. You can find the rest of the series with her at Booth #4723.
View this post on Instagram
Pikachu! I choose you for #wipwednesday! 😆 I'm getting some more details in and planning out his color scheme this morning. 🎨✨ His markings are going to be multi-color stripes! 🌈What do you think of Pikachu's rainbow makeover so far? 😄 I wanted to make him match my other rainbow animals because I'll be including him in my new mini painting series "Surreal Safari" that will be debuting in July at #SDCC at my booth 4723! 😁🦁🐱🐰 It's gonna have a lot cuties and a lot of color hee hee! 😉 I'm still working on more paintings so I'll be sure to share em soon! 😊💕 Now to get back to painting, there's still more to go! 💪🖌 Have a great morning lovelies! 😀😙💖 #wednesdaymotivation #pika #rainbowfeatures
- He’s Batman! Kevin Conroy, who voiced the Caped Crusader for Batman: The Animated Series as well as most of the animated movies, informed us via Twitter that he will be at SDCC this year. Since this year is also the 25th anniversary of Batman: The Animated Series, it’s no surprise we’ll see him at SDCC.
Upcoming events. See u there! pic.twitter.com/tdJJRX9wOJ
— Kevin Conroy (@RealKevinConroy) June 7, 2017