Sunday may be the day of rest — but not around here when we’ve got San Diego Comic-Con news to share. In today’s edition of Under the Tents, we’ve got news on the Sherlock offsite SherlockeDCC, a contest from Captain Action, lots of exclusives, and even two late additions to the convention center floor.
Here’s a look at the news you might have missed:
- The Baker Street Babes are back on the case at San Diego Comic-Con, with their popular SherlockeDCC event returning for 2018! You can look forward to more details on July 1, and we’ll be sharing it all here on the site, so stay tuned.
— Baker Street Babes (@BakerStBabes) June 22, 2018
- Nebula-award winning author Naomi Novak is heading to San Diego Comic-Con next month, where she will be signing autographs at the Del Rey Books / Penguin Random House booth as well as with Mysterious Galaxy.
- Artist Bill Sienkiewicz will have several new phone cases featuring his art for sale at the convention.
— Bill Sienkiewicz Art (@SienkiewiczArt) June 20, 2018
- Illustrator and character designer Inki-Drop showed off some adorable Kumacado + Pïp stickers she’ll have at her booth #1703 — along with a series of Eggplant + Pineapple Crabs stickers.
— inki-Drop @ AX DEALERS 3816 (@inki_drop) June 21, 2018
— inki-Drop @ AX DEALERS 3816 (@inki_drop) June 22, 2018
- Committed Comics will have several autograph signings at Small Press table P-10 this year, including Kat Maus on Saturday, July 21 and Miss Miniver on Friday, July 20. You can stop by their booth for the exact times.
hope you get our signings in there! We'll have the world famous Kat Maus signing at P-10 on Saturday! and Miss Miniver signing on Friday (booth and our website will have the times)
— Committed Comics (@committedcomics) June 21, 2018
- DKE’s roster of artists are always working on something fun for the convention — like this RYCA Admiral Ackbar fish designer piece. It’s a trap!
View this post on Instagram
What does RYCA (@ryca_artist) have up his sleeve for SDCC? #dealwithdov #dketoys #sdcc #sdcc2018 #sdccexclusive #conventionexclusive #customtoy #arttoy #artfigure #designertoy #designertoys #actionfigure #actionfigures #bootlegtoy #starwars #starwarsfigure #starwarsfigures #starwarsactionfigure #starwarsactionfigures #starwarsbootleg #starwarsbootlegs
- BeeFy & Co. are celebrating My Hero Academia creator Kohei Horikoshi’s Comic-Con appearance with a brand new All Might t-shirt coming to San Diego. You can stop by Booth #5051 to pick it up.
- Comic artist and illustrator Michael Dooney is now accepting commissions for San Diego Comic-Con — so if interested, just send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- While the line-up for this year’s Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival hasn’t been fully announced yet, we do know that Shelldon, an animated short film about a hermit crab on the hunt for a new shell to replace the blue bottle cap he lives in, will be getting a panel and screening there.
- Captain Action — the beloved collectible toy line that’s been around since the 1960’s — will be launching a fourth annual Captain Action Custom Figure Contest, with the winner to be announced at Comic-Con. This year’s theme will be “SPACE”, and participants will be asked to customize their 1/6th scale Captain Action figures around the theme. The contest will be judged by an all-star panel, made up of Joe Jusko, C. Vaughn, Michael Polis, Harold Sipe, Daniel Pickett, and Meg Stivinson. Evaluations will be judged upon creativity, craftsmanship, originality and professionalism.
- Artist Ash Evans found out late last week that she’d be exhibiting at San Diego Comic-Con (find her at Booth #3750), but that doesn’t mean it’s too late for her to plan an exclusive. Stop by to grab her convention exclusive “Sea Bunny” enamel pin, which will be limited to just 100 pieces.
We might have been added yesterday but that doesn't mean we can't do an exclusive too!! Oh boy!! Our pin peeps are doing us a favor and rushing a pin for us for SDCC!! Check out our exclusive "Sea Bunny" pin!!! #SDCC2018 #SDCCexclusive pic.twitter.com/2bB5VnaduU
— Ash Evans (@ThePhoenixx) June 21, 2018
- And speaking of late editions, we’re also very excited that our pal LEGO illustrator Dan Veesenmeyer will be back at Comic-Con this year as well. You can find him at Artists Alley table HH-23 — but he unfortunately won’t be accepting any pre-commission spots this year.
Surprise! Looks like I’ll be in Artist Alley during #SDCC after all! ✌️
The event had a couple artist cancellations and I was offered one of the few newly available spots. Guy running the space went out of his way so I took the opportunity. Now you can find me. pic.twitter.com/kIUa6F6JVD
— Dan Veesenmeyer (@dveese) June 22, 2018
For those now wanting to pre-order sketch commissions from me for #SDCC…
I am NOT going to take orders currently as I’m still working on the new Lego game. I’ll update status as we get closer to the event (mid July) in all my social if I have time.
— Dan Veesenmeyer (@dveese) June 22, 2018
- Comic book creator John Cavooto showed off a look at his SDCC exclusive The Pond cover, which you can grab at Dial R Studios Booth #2103 on the show floor.
— Johnny C (@JohnnyC138) June 21, 2018
- Illustrator Chris Lee is bringing a full set of 3″x4″ mini screen prints to San Diego. They’re limited to just 150 pieces, and printed on French 100c Cement Green. Can’t make it to Comic-Con to swing by Booth #1535? Good news, they’ll also be online in the coming weeks.
Here's the full set of 3×4" mini screen prints that I just finished sharing on IG. I always enjoy working within the constraints of a tiny canvas. These will also be debuting at #SDCC2018.
3×4" · 5 colors · Ed of 150 · Printed on French 100c Cement Green pic.twitter.com/dNUdSHXOz6
— Chris Lee · SDCC Booth 1535 (@thebeast_isback) June 21, 2018
- Artist Ethan Castillo is heading to Comic-Con Artists Alley AA-16 with some new princes, including this Spider-Man piece.
Getting ready for @Comic_Con with some new prints. This one is for the highly anticipated @insomniacgames #SpiderManPS4 video game. I can’t wait to try it! Pencilled traditionally & inked digitally using my @wacom Cintiq Pro & @photoshop. #SpiderMan #InsomniacGames #SDCC pic.twitter.com/lyhxKvwmO9
— Ethan Castillo (@EthanCastillo05) June 22, 2018
- And finally, ComicBook.com’s Brandon Davis won’t be at Comic-Con this year, which apparently upsets a lot of you.
— Brandon Davis (@BrandonDavisBD) June 22, 2018