I read the news today, oh, boy… While this edition of Under the Tents doesn’t have news about the Albert Hall, we do have great SDCC news from Val Hochberg, the Cartoon Art Museum, Bill Robinson, and a lot more.
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- If you’re looking for Richard and Wendy Pini, Flesk Publications posted a “bare bones” schedule of where they’ll be during SDCC.
- Lolligag is bringing some adorable kids’ size t-shirts as well as a few surprises to Booth #4532 (Bombastic Fantastic) at SDCC this year.
- Artist Peter Han is celebrating his twelfth year at SDCC by bringing 100 copies of his latest work, The Blacksmith, as an exclusive softcover variant that will not be released as part of his upcoming Kickstarter. You can find it at Booth #5554.
- If you grew up in the 80’s, you watched some of the best cartoons ever made. Sean Forney pays homage to them with his art he’ll have available at Table #BB-05 in Artists’ Alley.
Some 80s themed original art that I will have available at @comic_con artist alley BB-05#80scartoons #shera #sheraandtheprincessesofpower #mattel #heman #mastersoftheuniverse #motu #dreamworks #thundercats #liono #mummra #tmnt #teenagemutantninjaturtle… https://t.co/cIQccFZwGo pic.twitter.com/cXtMq7n6Cq
— Sean Forney at C2E2 O-6 (@SeanForneyArt) July 8, 2019
- If you plan to play Realms of Mindrin during SDCC, they’ll have giveaways each day for those who play. You can grab a Thala poster (100 signed copies) on Thursday, and Oghuna (only 50 signed copies) will be there on Friday.
- Stand up for something, even if it means going to Warp 9. Nick Kremenek designed these Nike-inspired tees for GraphicLab Tees and will debut them at SDCC 2019.
A second shirt #design I created for @GraphicLabTees which will be premiering at #sdcc this year. Can’t wait to wear this one!
#shirtdesign #artistsontwitter #nickkremenekart #startrek #startrektng #illustration #art #drawing #graphics #shirtart #artoftheday #creative #makeitso pic.twitter.com/TdXVy6PTrv
— Nick Kremenek (WonderCon Artist Alley Booth D-39) (@NickKremenek) July 8, 2019
- Meet author Marc Sumerak at Insight Editions’ Booth #3721 on Friday, July 19 at 11:30AM, where he’ll be signing copies of Back to the Future: Race through Time.
I’ll be signing copies of my books, including the new BACK TO THE FUTURE: RACE THROUGH TIME, at San Diego @Comic_Con. Join me at the @insighteditions booth (#3721) on Friday, July 19, at 11:30AM! #BTTF #books #signing #SDCC2019 pic.twitter.com/1hicN4oz7F
— Marc Sumerak (@msumerak) July 8, 2019
- Colorful comic book author Chip Zdarsky will be signing at SDCC 2019, but he hasn’t announced just where yet. Maybe this is a mystery for the Scooby Squad?
- Whether played by Tim Curry or Bill Skarsgård, Pennywise is arguably the most terrifying clown since the doll from Poltergeist (1982). Artist Christopher Uminga portrays both iterations in his new Pennywise piece you’ll find at Table #BB-18 in Artists’ Alley.
You’ll float too! Just finished up this new Pennywise piece for @comic_con next week. Swing by artist alley BB-18 to scoop one up. @procreate @itmovieofficial @SD_Comic_Con #uminga #horror #pennywise #it #clowns #clown #art #artist #spooky #sdcc2019 #sdcc pic.twitter.com/OP6hHxKhLy
— Chris Uminga (@Uminga720) July 9, 2019
- The original Kings of Con, Rob Benedict and Richard Speight, Jr., will be hosting the “final” Supernatural panel on Sunday morning in Hall H. Is it really the last one? We’ll have to see.
— Rob Benedict (@RobBenedict) July 9, 2019
- Quantum Mechanix (QMx) is celebrating the debut of their Batman: Family at SDCC this year by giving away a “blind” pin with every purchase at Booth #4145.
- Wizyakuza Artwork tweeted the third SDCC exclusive you’ll find at Booth #1623. This piece will be printed in metal, signed by voice actor Bryce Papenbrook, and numbered to 40.
Our third #SDCC exclusive!! Pick up the Captain by visiting Booth 1623! Printed in metal & signed in white paint by @brycepapenbrook , this piece will be numbered to 40! 😈🔥‼️ #Wizyakuza pic.twitter.com/WLCUwXzEgR
— Wizyakuza Artwork (@wizyakuza_art) July 9, 2019
- Minimalist artist S. Preston will debut his new minimalist Looney Tunes designs at the Chuck Jones Gallery during SDCC. He will also be on hand to sign some of his work on Thursday, July 18.
Breaking news! During San Diego Comic Con, I’ll be signing at the @ChuckJonesArt Gallery and launching my new minimalist Looney Tunes collection. Signing will be in the afternoon on a Thursday 18th. pic.twitter.com/SAPhSoRhMJ
— S. Preston (@PootPoot) July 9, 2019
- Stop by Square Enix’s Booth #3829 if you want to check out the baddest hog at SDCC, Cloud’s Hardy Daytona from Final Fantasy VII.
Attending San Diego @Comic_Con next week? Visit @SquareEnix booth 3829 and you can tear through the highways of Midgar on Cloud’s iconic Hardy Daytona. Hop on and kick it into high gear. #FF7R pic.twitter.com/11hI3u3udH
— FINAL FANTASY VII (@finalfantasyvii) July 9, 2019
- Some call him Thor. Others call him Donnar. Don’t call him “fat”. Artist Karl Kopinski will have this more traditional depiction of the God of Thunder with him at SDCC.
- Illustrator Evan Cagle is sending this SDCC exclusive variant cover for Go Go Power Rangers: Forever Rangers #1 to BOOM! Studios’ Booth #2229.
- If you need more Final Fantasy (because who doesn’t?), Artist Val Hochberg will have plenty of adorable Final Fantasy art at Table #FF-07 in Artists’ Alley.
- Dreamworks character designer Bill Robinson treated his Instagram followers to the finished work on his Swamp Picnic print you’ll find at Booth #4615.
- The Cartoon Art Museum is continuing their tradition of holding their annual sketch-a-thon at Booth #1930. Forty artists will be sketching original art to raise funds for the museum.