What with Hotelpocalypse stirring most people from their SDCC planning hibernation and the fact that we’re officially less than three months away from San Diego Comic-Con 2023, it sure feels like con season is officially upon us, huh?
Congratulations to those who know where you’re sleeping, and best of luck to those still looking for a spot when sales open up again on April 25.
Here’s a look at the news you may have missed this week while distracted by the Hotelpocalypse:
- Illustrator and designer Kevin Gemser shared a preview of his purikura-inspired Batman family sticker sheet and revealed a limited run will be available in Artists’ Alley at table #CC-13.
- Convention mainstay Uko Smith revealed his jampacked schedule (so far) for the remainder of 2023, which includes that little shindig in San Diego in July.
- The Loyal Subjects (TLS) has announced a new division, TLS Toy, will launch this fall with a Rainbow Brite product line thanks to a licensing deal with Hallmark. SDCC attendees can catch a sneak preview of the line at TLS’ booth, where the 5.5-inch Rainbow Brite Articulated Fashion Doll will be unveiled for the first time.
- Now or Never Comics is a beloved downtown San Diego shop less than a mile from the Convention Center. With SDCC now only double-digit days away instead of triple-digit days away (gasp), they teased out some preliminary preparations to get their store ready for con season.
Less than 100 days until SDCC! Time to start pulling together a bin of con exclusives, sketchbooks, and blank sketch covers. What else would help you get ready for con season? pic.twitter.com/RoklshCATH— NowOrNeverComics (@NowOrNeverComic) April 18, 2023
- Voodoo Ranger’s Community Manager @BeardedTortuga more or less confirmed the return of the famed Voodoo Ranger boat behind the Convention Center. Exact opening hours are still pending city approval, though, but we can’t wait!
We dont know the hours just yet as we have to have approvals from the city of San Diego cause of it being on the water but I'll update you asap!— BeardedTortuga (@BeardedTortuga) April 18, 2023
- Martin Hsu will be posted up at booth #4530 this year, where you’ll find this goldfish lady figure as part of a “very special” Artist Series.
- Rebecca Hicks has put out the call for potential panelists with crowdfunding experience to participate on a “How To” panel at SDCC.
If you're going to be at SDCC 2023 and have experience with crowdfunding, let me know if you'd be interested in sharing your knowledge on a How To panel. I'd love to showcase as many different voices as I can. DM me if you're interested, and share with anyone else who might be.— Rebecca Hicks – She/Her (@RHicks) April 18, 2023
- Silicone mask makers Composite Effects confirmed they will be once again be bringing their CFX Masks booth to San Diego this summer.
It’s time for #SUMMERCONVENTIONSEASON! You can find us at these upcoming shows:— Composite Effects (@CFXunmasked) April 18, 2023
*Texas Haunters Convention 7/16 & 7/17 in Mesquite, TX
* @Comic_Con 7/19-7/23 in San Diego, CA
* @MASKFEST1 8/19 & 8/20 in Indianapolis, IN
* @IAAPAHQ #IAAPAExpo 11/14-11/17 in Orlando, FL!#CFXMasks pic.twitter.com/PNk858Jf5Z
- Eight words and a heart emoji. That’s all Yesterdays needs to get us excited about what new pin designs they’ve got in store for SDCC attendees this year. They also put out a call for volunteers local to San Diego.
Bringing exciting new things to SDCC this year ♥️— Yesterdays (@yesterdaysco) April 19, 2023
Any SDCC Volunteers local to San Diego that are waiting to get a volunteer spot? Drop a comment!— Yesterdays (@yesterdaysco) April 21, 2023
- The Neopets are coming back to San Diego, and not only are they bringing a booth presence, but an afterparty as well. More details are still TBA, but we’ll keep you updated once we know more.
We've got some exciting news! TNT is thrilled to announce that not only will we have a booth at San Diego Comic Con this year, but… 🥁🥁🥁 we will also be hosting a Comic Con afterparty! 🎉 More details to come soon, so keep an eye out! Hope to see you July 19-23! 😍 pic.twitter.com/zFsCGgCkqi— neopets (@Neopets) April 21, 2023
- Subject to change, but at this point, it appears you will NOT be seeing Gargoyles creator Greg Weisman in San Diego this year.
It’s not looking like it. But if it hat changes, I’ll let folks know. https://t.co/ZXA8OwzACp— Greg Weisman (@Greg_Weisman) April 16, 2023
- Writer Simon Birks has a new comic, Antarctica, coming from Image Comics/Top Cow. The first issue will release on July 12, which… would you look at that?… lines up nicely for Simon to be at SDCC to sign them.
Take a look at my amazing comic #Antarctica – issue 1 (of 5) drops July 12th – and I'll be in #SDCC signing it! Yeah, it's pretty unbelievable! #comics art by the incredible @williroberts1 & letters by the amazing @lyndondraws – available to order from next week https://t.co/xRUIiDGlly— Simon Birks (@SBirksWriter) April 19, 2023
- Planning to cosplay as Sora, Riku, Kairi, Donald, Goofy, Mickey, or anyone else from the Kingdom Hearts universe? There is a photoshoot taking place on Saturday, July 22 at the mezzanine staircase in the back of the Convention Center.
- Artist and designer Priscilla Bree showed off a set of Angel Series illustrations; you can find her and her work at SDCC in Artists’ Alley at table #EE-11.
- In addition to a Spotlight panel, Special Guest Bill Griffith will be at the promoting and signing for Three Rocks, his new graphic bio of Nancy creator Ernie Bushmiller, at the Abrams Books booth. He will do the same for The Buildings Are Barking, a tribute to his late wife, Diane Noomin, at the Fantagraphics booth.
- Much like this author loves a good aisle seat, LEGO and X-Men artist Dan Veesenmeyer is getting the aisle upgrade in Artists’ Alley, where he’ll be at an end table for the first time. To be exact, you’ll catch him at table #EE-24. We’ve also got a post dedicated to his exclusives this year.
Looked up my SDCC table assignment on the floor map…(EE-24). First time I’m getting an end table in these artist alley rows.— Dan Veesenmeyer (@dveese) April 21, 2023
Makes it so much easier to come and go and visit with friends/fans. 🙌 pic.twitter.com/OpSCDOO0OC
- Finally, artist Alex Ross always brings it with his high-end art presence right in the middle of the exhibit hall. (The carpet doesn’t hurt, either, literally). His agent, Sal Abbinanti, recently shared a brief video of Ross “getting ready” for SDCC by signing some prints that you can surely pick up in July.
Catch up on any of our previous Under the Tents posts here.