Another week down and that much closer to San Diego Comic-Con. This was a hefty week for news. If it didn’t feel like it then you might not have been paying enough attention.
We saw lots of additions to our List of Open Artists Commissions, Tamashii Nations stunned us with four exclusives, and Little Shop of Pins put forth a Barbie enamel pin exclusive to die for (or at least briskly walk the exhibit hall floor for.) And that was all just YESTERDAY.
Now, let’s take a look at all the news you might have missed:
- The beneficial potential of storytelling and the role of fandom communities in providing support will be the focus during the “Harnessing the Power of Pop Culture for Mental Health Awareness” panel, scheduled for Friday at 5pm in Room 32AB. And look, giveaways!
View this post on Instagram
- Founder of the Hollywood Sound Museum, Steve Lee, will be on a panel on Thursday, July 20 at San Diego Comic-Con. We should know more regarding the details when the panel schedule are shared about two weeks before the show.
- Martin Hsu is getting all his cats in a row… his signature Ted Lasso cats that is. Looks like this time the whole kit-n-caboodle of characters. We hope he’s not teasing us with that 11″ x 14″ print.
Soooo how do we feel about a group photo… of the entire team? 😺 This is the largest Ted Lasso & Cats painting I’ve done to date. Might make a nice 11 x 14” print, too?#TedLasso #TedLassoCats #SDCC #SDCC2023 pic.twitter.com/iJ0mIMB6hK— Martin Hsu 徐 👨🏻🎨 SDCC Booth 4530 (@MartinHsu) June 15, 2023
- The Girls Drawin Girls collective will have some special guests at Comic-Con, according to this Facebook post from flair brand Vegan Power.
- Andromeda Designs Limited is packing their bags and heading to San Diego Comic-Con as well. You’ll be able to find them at a new, spacious corner booth, #4439 with all their sci-fi, fantasy, and horror models, prop replicas and miniatures.
- Janice Poon, author and food stylist for the brilliant series Hannibal has been working on some new recipes for a very special dust jacket for the Titan Books tome Feeding Hannibal. The new version with dust jacket, according to Poon, will be available at San Diego Comic-Con.
My new recipes are for a 10th anniversary commemorative dust jacket for Feeding Hannibal that @TitanBooks is going to make available at SanDiego ComicCon.— Janice Poon (@FeedingHannibal) June 15, 2023
Cuban, Cajun and Korean recipes since that's where Will and Hannibal will travel to evade the authorities.
- Holy Panel Announcement Batman! Author of the recent Fann Club Batman Squad, Jim Benton, will be talking about his New York Time bestseller, Dear Dumb Diary. Check out this dumb* panel on Friday at 1pm in Room 25ABC. *His words, not mine.
SDCC first panel announce! pic.twitter.com/5wv4YMTimj— Jim Benton (@JimBenton) June 15, 2023
- Rise and shine, sleepyhead! There’s no sleeping in when you’re prepping for Comic-Con. At least, not when you’re artist Joey Spiotto, who will be releasing daily exclusives of his iconic “Storytime” prints. *pause to do a Kermit flail*
Up early to work on new prints for San Diego Comic Con! How is it only a month away?!— Joey (@JoeySpiotto) June 15, 2023
Ummm, I’m gonna be doing daily exclusive “Storytime” prints! One is so weird but I’m happy with how they’re coming along so far!— Joey (@JoeySpiotto) June 16, 2023
- Steve Bryant just keeps rolling out the amazing prints for San Diego Comic-Con. Today he showed off a Spider-Gwen with colors by Jason Millet. Check his booth at Small Press L-01 if you’re interested.
Here's another new piece that'll probably end up as a print for San Diego Comic-Con this year. Spider-Gwen, digital pencils and inks by me, colors by my brilliant partner-in-crime, @Jason_Millet pic.twitter.com/FLQ0Z5Dr2F— Steve Bryant SDCC Small Press L-01 (@SteveBryantArt) June 15, 2023
- Josh Cassara has been working non-stop on some marvelous covers for Marvel, but is still making time for some commissions while at Comic-Con. Hit him up for details before he’s booked solid.
- You can wear your Alderaan pride on your lapel with this enamel pin from BB-CRE.8. It’s just one of five Star Wars planets they will be offering in enamel pin form at booth #1334 at San Diego Comic-Con.
Was working on this piece to get ready for #SDCC this year. Finished the art work and now it’s time to make our Alderaan Hexagon into an enamel pin! This plus 5 other iconic planets will debut at BOOTH 1334! #SDCC2023 pic.twitter.com/VTkMaC4bzU— BB-CRE.8 🔜@SDCC BOOTH 1334 (@bb_cre8) June 15, 2023
- Diwata Komiks Carmina #2 will have a variant cover by artist Xerx G. Javier and it will be a San Diego Comic-Con exclusive. Per the tweets, it sounds like Diwata has a lot planned for Carmina, one of their flagship titles that features a troubled biracial young woman living who discovers that she comes from a powerful lineage.
We just reviewed the final cover for Carmina issue 3 by Kian Joshua and the issue 2 SDCC variant cover by Xerx G. Javier feat. the #NewIcons and we can't wait to share it all with you at San Diego Comic-Con next month!#DreamOutLoud #DiwataKomiks #SDCC2023 https://t.co/0SyLBSVf9Y— Mark AJ Nazal (@markfx411) June 15, 2023
- Scott Hoffman, “Babydaddy” of the Scissor Sisters, recently launched an weekly independent comic book called Nostalgia. In sharing some press he did for the book he also announced that he will be at San Diego Comic-Con promoting said book. That makes me feel like dancin’.
View this post on Instagram
- Boom Studios’ insanely popular series Something is Killing the Children is being re-released in a pen and ink only version. Issue #1 will have a variant cover by artist Andrew K. Currey, which will be available at San Diego Comic-Con. We think Boom will have plenty more to offer and look forward to seeing all their exclusives.
View this post on Instagram
- And finally, comic book creator Etienne Derepentigny’s Dead Kingdom Volume 2 will have an advance release at Comic-Con. Not only will it be very early, it’s also limited edition.
Great news! The first issue of Dead Kingdom volume 2 will be available at this year @Comic_Con San Diego!— Etienne Derepentigny (@Edawg2) June 15, 2023
This special edition will be limited before the official release this fall.@red5comics @ComicsLotusland @ComicCrusaders @Sparks_Comics @blakesbuzz @ComicalOpinions pic.twitter.com/IaHQVAn74J
If you missed our previous Under the Tents 2023 posts, you can find them HERE