Now is the winter of our discontent. Wait, winter? This is San Diego; it’s always summer here. Summer brings sunshine, warmth, surf, and of course, Comic-Con. The only discontent we could have would be one thing: Hotelpocalypse. We saw tears of joy and sorrow when Round 1 of email notifications went out this past Monday. If you didn’t get anything, don’t despair just yet. We still have Round 2 to look forward to on May 8.
While you were frantically hitting the refresh button on your Inbox, we still scoured the Internet for any SDCC-related news.
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- Once again, one of the cornerstones of Comic-Con, The Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards Nominees have been announced. This year’s judges – which include Alan Campbell, Rob Clough, Jamie Newbold, Robert Moses Peaslee, Dawn Rutherford, and Martha Thomases – made up this year’s nominee choices, and you can find out the winners live at San Diego Comic-Con. Hop on over to Comic-Con International’s dedicated page for more detailed information and this year’s full list of nominees.
- The Ninjabot announced they are working on some new Mini Pop Cat originals for SDCC this year. Find them in the Small Press area at Booth #L-08, and keep an eye out on June 1 when they open up their commission list.
Painting some adorable Mini Pop Cats originals for SDCC. Although some don't look very "Mini".
— The Ninjabot (@theninjabot) April 29, 2017
- Disney Princesses artist Amy Mebberson announced she is currently taking pre-commissions for her convention appearances this year, which includes SDCC.
Hey folks! I am now taking pre-commissions for Denver Comic Con, SDCC & D23 Expo! Details: https://t.co/lIKnD9o7hp
— Amy Mebberson ???? (@amymebberson) May 1, 2017
- One of her frequent partners in crime, James Silvani, also reminded us that his SDCC commission pre-orders are now open. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Prolific artist Mary Bellamy tweeted that she is “furiously working” on new material for SDCC. Judging by her latest My Little Pony cover, her fury is paying off. Find her at Small Press Booth #N-04.
I'm furiously working to be ready for SDCC this year. I'll have a new sketchbook and the final sequel to Ah Heck!! TAC, new stickers art etc
— MaryZorilitaBellamy (@Mary_Bellamy) May 1, 2017
Don't forget my new My Little Pony RI cover is issue 56 coming out in July! I'll sign them if you're at SDCC Small Press n04. pic.twitter.com/OyesyXPeBn
— MaryZorilitaBellamy (@Mary_Bellamy) May 1, 2017
- X-Men: Evolution artist Steven E. Gordon shared an exclusive limited edition print he’s bringing to SDCC.
- Crochet artist Jennifer Nolan shared an image of an adorable crocheted Bulbasaur she will have with her at SDCC at her booth.
— Jennifer Nolan (@dsgnJenn) May 2, 2017
- Attention cosplayers: Artist/body painter Lana Chromium is currently booking for SDCC.
— Art by Lana Chromium (@artbychromium) May 3, 2017
- Artist Brian Kesinger revealed the designs for the first Otto and Victoria collectible pin set, which will be debuting at San Diego Comic-Con.
- Mindy Wheeler tweeted her con schedule for this year, which includes SDCC, of course. Find her in Artist Alley, Table #GG-13, and maybe one of those signed pieces could be yours.
Upcoming shows: Nickel City Con May 19-21, MegaCon Orlando May 25-28, HeroesCon June 16-18, SDCC July 20-23, Florida Supercon July 27-30 pic.twitter.com/WC3MPNMGUz
— Mindy Wheeler (@MindyWheelerArt) May 2, 2017
- Sadly, Zen Monkey Studios announced via Twitter that they will not be at SDCC this year. All is not lost, however, as they will have exclusive pins available with Oni Press. They also hinted that may have some “stuff” available at a potential Rick and Morty panel, so stay tuned for more info as we find it.
— Zen Monkey Studios (@ZenMonkeyStudio) May 1, 2017
- Wynonna Earp and Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency actor Michael Eklund tweeted that he hopes he gets invited to SDCC this year. With IDW’s pending details regarding their Wynonna Earp party, we hope so, too.
— Michael Eklund (@MichaelEklund) May 3, 2017
- Keithan Jones, creator of The Power Knights and owner of KID Comics shared via Instagram that he will be at SDCC this year.
- Actress and visual artist Pia Thrasher shared a sneak peek of one of her pieces she’ll have in SDCC’s Art Show this year on Instagram.
- Artist Chad Heinrich shared via Instagram one of his SDCC exclusive prints he’ll have available. For some reason, he thinks this is dumb. We think it’s brilliant, Chad.
Prints for SDCC are trickling in fully colored, this one will have an #sdcc exclusive that I will reveal later on, I know it's dumb but I LOVE this idea. Batwoman We Can Do It Pencils/Inks: @chadheinrichart Colors: @necroscension #batwoman #sdcc #sdcc2017 #wecandoit #wecandoit💪 #DC #dccomics #batman #chadheinrichart #makecomics #art #iamart #love #lgbt🌈 #lgbt #pride
- Finally (for this post), IDW’s Ghostbusters writer Erik Burnham reminds us there are only 12 weeks until Comic-Con – which suggests we may be seeing him at the convention. As if we need a reminder. It’s good to know we’re not the only ones keeping track.
SDCC is less than 12 weeks away.
— Erik Burnham (@erikburnham) May 3, 2017