We’re now in the time of year when if you look away for a minute, you might miss out on some exciting updates for July’s San Diego Comic-Con. Don’t worry though, we have you covered with a fresh “Under The Tents” full of news on panels from the Comics Arts Conference films, and Gravity Falls, as well as more exclusives, artist appearances, a novel making its debut at SDCC, and much more.
Here’s the stuff you might have missed for today:
- Artist Jerry Vanderstelt announced on Facebook that he is currently in the process of designing a Smaug-centric portrait, to debut at San Diego Comic-Con. The piece will be available at booth #4719, and attendees can purchase canvas and print giclees. Vanderstelt will also be doing a live demo for the piece, reproducing it at a 4’x6′ scale during the convention at his booth.
- Evil Ink Comics founder Adrian Lopez revealed on Twitter that Evil Inks will have a booth at this year’s SDCC – and it will be located next to professional cosplayer Phecda Suicide.
— Adrian Lopez (@Krownz) May 1, 2014
- The upcoming film Fallen will be at San Diego Comic-Con, according to the author of the book series the film is based on, Lauren Kate. During a recent Google Hangout with Penguin Random House’s Mexican division, Kate told a reporter (around the 58:39 mark in this video):
There is a big program planned for the Fallen movie at Comic-Con. I don’t know exactly which members of the cast yet, but the movie will be represented at Comic-Con. I will hopefully be there myself, if I can talk my baby into letting me go.
- In a press release, VIZ Media announced and Gecco unveiled an upcoming Comic-Con exclusive: Naruto Shippuden. The Naruto figure is a “1/6 scale masterpiece of the world’s most popular ninja, clad in 4th Hokage coat version”, and will be sold at the VIZ Media booth (#2813) at SDCC. The figure will be priced at $150.
- Artist Robert Wilson is currently taking commission pre-orders for SDCC. You can request a commission, which range from $25-$50 for a single character, by clicking here.
- Committed Comics will be holding an all day portfolio review/talent search at Comic-Con, looking for “the next wave of comic superstars.” Those interested in attending the Friday, July 25, session should head to Committed Comic’s site for all the details.
- Fans of Mad Magazine cartoonist Tom Richmond can find him in two places at this year’s convention: The National Cartoonists Society booth, as well as the DC Booth. Richmond announced his full convention schedule on his site, including Comic-Con details.
- A large part of Comic-Con’s panel presence is the Comics Arts Conference — and at lease some of those confirmations have gone out. Academic researcher Keegan Lannon and marketer Ford Dent will be presenting Comics and Form on Friday from 10:30AM-12:00PM in Room 26, Keegan announced on Twitter.
- Comic strip artist Paul Horn revealed on Twitter that he will be attending SDCC.
Heading out — thanks for braving the heat and sun to help make this #FreeComicBookDay a standout! If you missed me here, see you at SDCC!
— Paul Horn™/Cool Jerk™ (@CoolJerk) May 3, 2014
- Comics author Neo Edmund announced on Twitter that he will be heading to Comic-Con to host some panels, though no word yet on what those panels are.
- The Realmwalker Chronicles, a four novel epic fantasy series written by Lee Aarons, announced on its site that it will debut on Wednesday, July 23, at Comic-Con. You can read a four chapter preview of the first book, The first novel in the series, The Pillars of Natura, by clicking here.
- Gravity Falls will be returning to San Diego Comic-Con for a panel, according to creator Alex Hirsch on Twitter. If you have an idea for how to make it “the best ComicCon panel ever”, you can tweet Hirsh @_AlexHirsch.
Hey GF fans! I'm trying to plan the best ComicCon panel ever. What would y'all like to see?
— Alex Hirsch (@_AlexHirsch) May 5, 2014