May the 4th be with you – and though we’re all still crossing our fingers for news of any Star Wars happenings at Comic-Con this year, we do have news of lots of other things that are definitely happening at this year’s SDCC. Today’s edition of Under the Tents has news on The Maze Runner, Chris Hardwick, Zachary Levi and his new show (no, his other new show), Her Universe, NECA, and much more.
Here’s a look at the news you might have missed:
- Book retailer 2nd and Charles is giving away a trip to San Diego Comic-Con on their Facebook page, which includes two round-trip airfare tickets, accommodations, and badges. You can find more information, and sign up, o the Facebook contest page.
- The winners of the Her Universe Fashion Show have been announced. Their final designs will be showcased on the runway on July 9 at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in San Diego, where one winer will also be chosen by a panel of judges and the other by the audience as their favorite.
- Is it your dream to become the next Chris Hardwick? No, we don’t mean presenting every panel at Comic-Con, but rather, being a comedian. If so, then Totino’s Living may just have the answer for you. Interested parties have between now and May 22 to submit a video of one of your own original stand-up comedy acts, with a winner selected to perform during a Nerdist podcast recording in Los Angeles on June 8 and to open for Hardwick’s stand-up comedy show during Comic-Con on July 10. The winner will also receive round trip airfare to SDCC, one night in a hotel, and more. You can sign up now on Titino’s site.
- James Dashner, author of the popular young adult series The Maze Runner, announced on Twitter that he knows he’ll be attending San Diego Comic-Con this year. There’s no word on whether that will be to promote his own books, or perhaps to return for a Fox panel about the second film in The Maze Runner franchise, The Scorch Trials, which is due in theatres in September. Either way, it’s a good sign.
I don't know much about my schedule this year yet. But I know I'll be at BEA, BookCon, ComicCon in San Diego and Salt Lake. #dashnerchat
— James Dashner (@jamesdashner) May 2, 2015
- When asked on Twitter about when we’d hear more about some of NECA’s upcoming Pacific Rim figures, NECA responded that they hope to show some new items at SDCC.
Hopefully we will show some new PR items at sdcc https://t.co/C4vMkgPwe3
— NECA (@NECA_TOYS) May 2, 2015
- One of our favorite artists, Patrick Ballesteros, is busy working on “the next big print” for Comic-Con.
— Patrick Ballesteros SDCC DD-08 (@PatrickBallest) May 3, 2015
- If you’re a street teamer headed to Comic-Con, On Tour 24/7 is currently looking to hire 100-200 “event staff and promotional models/brand ambassadors” for an undisclosed job at Comic-Con.
— On Tour 24/7 (@OnTour247) May 3, 2015
The same group is also looking for twins — both male and female.
— On Tour 24/7 (@OnTour247) May 3, 2015
- In a recent Entertainment Weekly interview about his upcoming trivia show based on the popular pub trivia nights, Geeks Who Drink, Levi was asked if “some version” of the series would be at Comic-Con this year. His answer? “What I can say is that we’ll definitely be promoting it in some way,” he told EW. The series starts July 16 on Syfy.
- Back in March, NECA had announced that they’d be doing a toy line based on the Alien: Isolation video game. Now, thanks to a tweet, we know that “all” of the upcoming series “should be on display at SDCC”.
All of Isolation series should be on display at sdcc https://t.co/qtGWXShIMm
— NECA (@NECA_TOYS) May 3, 2015
- Cosplayer Chad Suicide told a fan on Twitter that she will be at Comic-Con at the Suicide Girls booth.
@Rulyz__ I will be at SDCC at the Suicide Girls booth. 😊 so let's high five.
— Charlotte Something (@CharSomething) May 3, 2015
- Archon writer John J. Perez took to Twitter to announce that he’ll be at San Diego Comic-Con this summer.
- It should come as no surprise that Battlestar Galactica actor Richard Hatch will be appearing at San Diego Comic-Con. According to his Facebook page, all details are still TBA, but Hatch is present almost every year talking about Battlestar Galactica, his upcoming projects, and more.
- Voice actor Yuri Lowenthal, who has done work in projects like Ben 10, Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes, and Skylanders, revealed on Twitter that he’ll be at Comic-Con, though it’s not yet known what project he’ll be promoting.
— Yuri Lowenthal (@YuriLowenthal) May 4, 2015
- Artist Andrew Knighton can be found at SDCC in Small Press booth K-08.