That’s a wrap on WonderCon 2016, which means it’s time to put our full attention towards that other convention happening this year – San Diego Comic-Con. Maybe You’ve heard of it? We’ve got updates on several companies that will be at the convention, including Mattel and Mondo, as well as news on popular offsites like SherlockeDCC and Hop Con.
Here’s a look at the news you might have missed:
- Horror magazine The Creeps, along with Warrant Publishing Company, will be present at SDCC this year according to this Facebook post. You can find them at Small Press table #K-107, being a creep is not mandatory.
- Mattel, home to Hot Wheels, Monster High, and much more, confirmed on Twitter that they will indeed be returning to SDCC to the surprise of no one. If this is your first time attending SDCC, keep in mind that it’s not as easy as just walking up to the booth to make a purchase. Keep an eye out for upcoming articles about Mattel and its popular SDCC exclusives.
@ReviewingMama Hi there! Check our San Diego Comic Con. We will attend that event!
— MATTEL (@Mattel) March 15, 2016
- Hop Con is coming back for a fourth year to continue combining people’s love for all things geek and beer. According to its site, the event will be returning Wednesday, July 20, and more details will be announced on May 4. Last year’s Hop Con was held at the Stone Brewing World Bistro and Garden and featured a “Hop Cade” as well as pop culture celebrities such as Wil Wheaton, Aisha Tyler, and Kevin Eastman.
- David Anders, who currently portrays Blaine DeBeers on CW’s iZombie, recently tweeted out his upcoming convention schedule. This included, you guessed it, SDCC! Could this mean iZombie will be returning to SDCC? Considering it was just renewed for a third season, it’s likely.
👏🏿Emerald City Comic Con
👊🏻Eastern European Comic Con
🖕🏼Oz Comic Con &
👍San Diego Comic Con#ConMan pic.twitter.com/kiyKLqNbXL
— David Anders (@QuestionAnders) March 19, 2016
- Artist Juan Muniz recently showed this upcoming pink “UHOH” convention exclusive on Instagram. This will be available at several conventions including SDCC. They are limited to 200 so don’t hesitate during SDCC to grab one if it’s on your “must purchase” list!
- Reader Joshua Ladd got the scoop from Mondo that they’ll be back at San Diego this year (shocker), and that they’ll have more information about their releases closer to the convention.
- The popular Sherlock-themed offsite, SherlockeDCC, is back in action for 2016. The Baker Street Babes mentioned on Twitter that they’ve started planning, though no further details are known at this time.
#SherlockeDCC 2016 planning officially commenced today. Just an FYI #SDCC 😉
— Baker Street Babes (@BakerStBabes) March 24, 2016
- In addition to everything else they’ve got planned for San Diego Comic-Con 2016, Funko also told a fan on Twitter that they’re “planning something with the USO at SDCC”. A toy drive? An exclusive whose profits go to the charity? Time will tell.
@tmincredible We made a sizable donation to Toys 4 Tots in December and we're planning something with the USO at SDCC!
— Funko (@OriginalFunko) March 26, 2016
- Comic artist Mary Bellamy revealed on Twitter that she’ll be bringing eight My Little Pony mini-prints to San Diego — so bronies take note.
I will be having 8 #mlp mini #prints for SDCC this year! #mlpfim #mylittlepony #zorilitamarybellamy
— Mary Bellamy Artist for Punkdroid.EU (@Zorilita) March 26, 2016
- Fat Rabbit Farms, the makers of adorable clothing and a line of rabbit-themed mash-ups, told a fan on Twitter that they’ll be back at San Diego this summer, and they’ll have some Star Wars themed merch, similar to their WonderCon release.
@CaptainTapole Always! 😊
— Fat Rabbit Farm (@FATRABBITFARM) March 26, 2016
- Author and illustrator Dan Cooney announced on Twitter that he’ll be back at San Diego Comic-Con, though he had to cancel his WonderCon appearance this last weekend to finish The Tommy Gun Dolls.
@sthrngrlsrck No, I cancelled my artist alley table to finish The Tommy Gun Dolls, book going to the printer in May, I'll be at SDCC in July
— Dan Cooney on Patreon (@dcooneyart) March 26, 2016
- Following his DVD-Duesday Live panel at WonderCon, where Chris Gore and a panel of film experts dissect DVD special features, Gore hinted that they’d be doing it again at San Diego. Although panel confirmations for this summer haven’t yet gone out, Gore is a mainstay at the convention, and a safe bet.
Thank you to everyone who came to the @dvduesday panel @WonderCon. We will do this again soon! #SDCC #SDCC2016
— Chris Gore (@ThatChrisGore) March 27, 2016
- A Con Man game is coming — to San Diego. The game, based on the series by Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion, will be launching during SDCC.
Oh yes a Con Man game is coming! Launching at #SDCC you'll get to manage your own con! #WonderCon2016 #panel pic.twitter.com/xv0SYar35J
— Con Man (@ConManSeries) March 26, 2016
Anything we missed? Let us know in the comments, drop us a line or tweet us at @SD_Comic_Con.