Hold on, readers. We have a big Under the Tents for you in this issue with big San Diego Comic-Con news from G FUEL, FANDOM/Screen Junkies, and even more artists who are opening their SDCC commissions. Let’s keep our introduction short and get right to the news, shall we?
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- Boom Howdy always brings fun, unofficial activations and fan events to SDCC, and this year, they’re holding a Welcome to Castle Rock ARG Scavenger Hunt to celebrate Hulu’s new series based on the Stephen King novels. While this activation isn’t officially affiliated with Hulu, Stephen King, or the actual series, we think it’s still worth checking out.
This contest is in no way affiliated with Hulu, Stephen King, J.J. Abrams or the Castle Rock series. Welcome To Castle Rock is a fan activation created by Boom Howdy for fans. pic.twitter.com/VHMaKGxUOq
— Welcome to Castle Rock (@CastleRockHunt) July 3, 2018
- We all know hydration is key when at San Diego Comic-Con, especially if you plan on spending long hours in an infamous line. This year, G FUEL and Lionsgate have you covered with their Power Rangers Shaker Cups. They’ll have the Red, Pink, Blue, Yellow, and Black Rangers in shaker form, but for those whose thirst is unquenchable, there’s also a Megazord shaker. These are SDCC exclusives and won’t be available on G Fuel or Lionsgate’s site after the con, but they will be at Lionsgate’s Booth #3635 until supplies run out.
- Fanbase Press invites you to Table #O-03 in Small Press for some amazing SDCC programming and merch. You can pick up titles including the Eisner Award-nominated Quince, Hero Hotel, The Gamma Gals, Penguins vs. Possums, The Arcs, Something Animal, Identity Thief, and the Bram Stoker Award-nominated Fearworms: Selected Poems. Also, Fanbase Press plans to debut their latest graphic novel, The Margins, which will be available signed by co-writer David Accampo and artist Amanda Donahue. It’s not SDCC 2018 without an enamel pin, so Fanbase Press will debut a limited edition Quince enamel panel, not to mention the official Fanbase Press t-shirt! Plus, The Arkham Sessions co-hosts Dr. Andrea Letamendi and Brian Ward will be on hand to meet attendees (see our Autographs post for Fanbase’s schedule).
- Some big news in the entertainment industry is FANDOM’s acquisition of Screen Junkies. According to Variety, the new conglomeration will have a “co-branded presence” at SDCC this year. Since we already know FANDOM brings an epic presence to begin with, so we’re excited to see just what fruit this co-branding with Screen Junkies will bear.
- Is it too soon for us to get excited about Ezra Miller coming to San Diego this year? His band, Sons of an Illustrious Father, added to that excitement when they put out a call for local San Diegans (San Diegoans?) to join their street team. Could they have something special planned in the Gaslamp during SDCC? We’ll keep an eye out for further announcements.
- LEGO artist Dan Veesenmeyer was not originally scheduled to have a table at SDCC this year (although he still planned to attend). CCI was able to fit him in at the last hour at Table #HH-23 in Artists Alley, but this means he is not quite ready to open his commission list just yet. According to his announcement on his blog page, look for him to possibly open a few commissions beginning next Saturday, July 14.
- Author David Accampo announced that he and Amanda Donahue will also be at Fanbase Press’s Table #O-03 in Small Press throughout SDCC signing copies of their latest collaboration, The Margin. See Accampo’s Instagram post below for their schedule.
- You can’t miss Josh Figueroa at Table #FF-15 in Artists Alley under his brand new banner he showed off on Instagram, where he also teased a work-in-progress of a new piece he’s working on for SDCC. You’ll be able to pick up and order commissions from Josh at the following prices:
– Custom sketch card (pencil) – $20
– Custom sketch card (color) – $40
– Sketch Cover (pencil) – $60
– 11″x17″ (pencil) $150
– 13″x19″ (color) $300 includes original art and full color glossy print
View this post on Instagram
Here's my banner, its easy to read and Deadpool is on it so stop by Artists Alley table# FF-15 at the 2018 San Diego Comic Con International this July 18th to the 22nd 2018 to buy some original art from me! #sandiegocomicconinternational2018 #2018sdcc #2018sandiegocomicconinternational #2018sandiegocomiccon #expooutfitters #expo_outfitters
- Artist Terry Dodson announced via his blog that he will open his SDCC commission list beginning Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 9:00AM PT. Read his entire post, as he is very specific as to his commission process. You can see examples of previous commissions in the images below.
- If you were a fan of 90’s heavy metal group PANTERA, you need to make your way to War Machine Marketing’s Booth #1415, where they will have these exclusive PANTERA mini-guitar enamel pins with designs based on the band’s iconic album covers. There are five pins total. Vulgar Display of Power, Far Beyond Driven, and Great Southern Trendkill can be purchased individually, but the pins for Far Beyond Driven (Bootleg) and the alternate cover for Great Southern Trendkill can only be purchased with the full set. War Machine Marketing is only bringing 30 full sets of all five guitars and 36 of each individual guitar, so they’re holding a raffle each day for purchases. You can see samples of these pins in the photos below.