Happy belated (and late) Mother’s Day to all of you mother figures out there in SDCC-land. Did you call your mom yesterday? She worries about you. If she’s coming to Comic-Con this year, she’s probably reading this issue of Under the Tents for news about Nan Hockin’s latest pieces, a new collaboration between Russell Nohelty and Angela Oddling, and a whole lot more.
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- Art by Nan’s Nan Hockin was very excited to reveal that her postcard and enamel pin designs for SDCC are in and ready to go.
- And the nominees are… Prism Comics, The Queer Comics Expo, and the Cartoon Arts Museum announced the nominees for 2019’s Prism Awards. Winners will be announced as always during SDCC at a special presentation. Watch the SDCC official schedule for the exact date and time.
- Genesis II Comics is busy preparing for SDCC, as shown in one of their recent tweets. See what they’re preparing for when you visit them at Booth #835.
Taking you behind the scenes as we prepare for San Diego Comic-Con. Model Beteal Sharon gets a head cast for her "Lisa" costume. See us at booth 835.#graphicnovel #comicbook #scifi #genesistwo #genesis2 #sdcc #sdcc50@Comic_Con @BetealSharon @realbetealsharon pic.twitter.com/Ugn4Xginll
— Genesis Two Comics (@GenesisTwoComic) May 8, 2019
- For those of you just joining us, we really like artist Patrick Ballesteros. A lot. And when you see what he’s working on for SDCC this year, you’ll see why. We not only got a peek at one of his SDCC 2019 prints, but also a look at one more of his 100 mini originals.
— Patrick Ballesteros SDCC DD-08 (@PatrickBallest) May 8, 2019
- Another one of our good friends, Arnel Baluyot, a.k.a. The Ninjabot, is bringing something new yet again to SDCC this year. Last year, he debuted his first board game. This year, The Ninjabot is bringing a brand new vinyl figure with him to Small Press Table #L-08, based on his PopCats Fighter game.
I’m officially announcing one of my most exciting news for #SDCC this year!
I’m designing my first vinyl figure ever! These are her turnarounds. More process shots and info about her in the new couple of weeks 💜 pic.twitter.com/kXJ4NgCmb7
— Arnel Baluyot (@theninjabot) May 9, 2019
- Freelance illustrator Angela Oddling is very excited about her collaboration with Wannabe Press’s Russell Nohelty on Lucifer Licorice, a new book they’re bringing with them to SDCC this year.
— angela oddling ✨ (@angelaoddling) May 9, 2019
- Artist Darick Robertson, co-creator of the comic series The Boys, told one of his Twitter fans he would be at SDCC this year. And it looks like he will be sketching at some point, too.
I clearly had next to no time… 😄 I will be at SDCC this year !
— 𝔻𝕒𝕣𝕚𝕔𝕜 🇺🇦🌻🇺🇸 (@DarickR) May 10, 2019
- Screenwriter Bill Williams announced via Twitter he will be at SDCC this year signing at Antarctic Press’s Booth for a few hours each day.
— Bill makes COMICS (@Bill_Williams) May 8, 2019
- Artist Ben Lee teased his Instagram followers to an SDCC 2019 work-in-progress. Maybe the hashtags are clues…
- Artist Jin Yung Kim is going back a ways to bring several smaller drawings, like Shredder, with him to SDCC.
- Detroit artist Johnny Dope Kicks teased a new Transformers fanzine he’s working on and bringing with him to SDCC’s Small Press Table #N-14.
- Speaking of teasers, John Ottinger posted artwork from frame three of page 13 of his latest Dweores book he’ll have with him at SDCC 2019.
- Freelance artist Amber Harris is getting the SDCC 2019 hype train rolling by announcing via Twitter she’ll be in Artists’ Alley at Table #CC-09.