Happy Valentine’s Day, friends! It is I, the Ublog cupid, here with my quiver full of WonderCon news and aiming directly at your hearts and wallets! Let’s draw a bead on some recently announced attending writers, get your engines revved up for an after party, and hit the bullseye with all the people and art you’ll get to see.
Time to take a look a the news you might have missed:
- Let’s get the most exciting piece of business out of the way first….our very own EIC Kerry Dixon has decided to attend WonderCon 2020. You might find her near the food trucks, or picking up some commissions, or maybe hunkered down in a panel room. Finding the elusive Kerry is a joy and a worthy accomplishment. Good luck, friends.
…guess who's going to WonderCon after all!
— Kerry (@kerrydixon) February 13, 2020
- Artist Dahlia Goolsby, also known as Dani, will be setting up shop at WonderCon. If you want to make them thrilled, come bearing coffee or tea.
- It’s just not San Diego Comic-Con or WonderCon without Patrick Ballesteros, and good news: He’ll be bringing back his popular original mini paintings, which will be in high demand during the con. Have a suggestion for who should be on a new mini? Let him know!
- The vendor list hasn’t been officially announced yet, but Oc Collectibles is assuring us that they will be there, with their wide array of pop culture goodies for you to spend your hard earned dollars on. That is why we go to conventions, right? It certainly isn’t for the convention center food.
- The ECTOxO group is taking over Shakey’s Pizza in Anaheim for a fun after party event on Saturday, April 11. You’ll be able to see some superstar vehicles including The Pizza Planet Truck, Ghostbusters Ecto-1, A-Team van and more. RSVP to their Facebook event for more details.
- Escondido based artist Ricky Fang, known as HooksnFangs has shared the good news on Facebook that he’ll be tabling in Artist Alley at WonderCon.
- Writer Jason Aaron is having a pretty great year… actually make that decade. Taika Waititi is using Aaron’s run on Thor as inspiration for the Marvel Studios film Thor:Love and Thunder and he’s currently writing the Avenger’s comic, to much acclaim. You’ll be able to see Aaron at WonderCon this year and if you’re a fan, you won’t want to miss the opportunity.
- HexComix, creators of the comics Dragon Kitties and Hex11 (and nominees for the Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity), have added WonderCon to their schedule of apperarances on their website. Guys…. dragon… kitties. I can’t even.
- National Cartoonists Society Reuben Award Winner for “Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year”, Tom Richmond, will be attending WonderCon You’ll be able to pick up his books, MAD magazines, prints, and even get a caricature at National Cartoonists Society booth #2000.
- Award winning writer Saharra Sandhu has updated her website with upcoming appearances and the Saturday of WonderCon is listed among them.
- Hyrule Art Studio will also be exhibiting at WonderCon this year, among other conventions.
- LA-based artist Frank Forte will also be exhibiting at the convention.
- Bestselling author James Rollins will be taking his Last Odyssey: A Sigma Force book tour to Anaheim, and promises more details soon. Last Odyssey is due out On March 24, 2020.
- Los Angeles based illustrator Jessica Chrysler will be in Artists’ Alley at E-46 all weekend. You’ll be able to see her do some live demos, as well as buy some art. If you are interested in having Jessica do a commission for you, she is accepting them until March 13th, e-mail her for details.
- Artist Mai Van has also opened up her commissions list, for pick-up at Artist Alley E-10. DM her to get on her list for some truly fantastic art. That Howard the Duck piece!
Hey all! I'm opening my commission list for WonderCon – DM me if you're interested!
Thanks for looking! 😊#ComicArt #AnimalArt #WildlifeArt #CuteAnimals #LuckythePizzaDog #GoosetheFlerken #GoosetheCat #tmnt #HowardTheDuck #SeaTurtles #MarvelComics #Avengers #MCU #penandink pic.twitter.com/j3a2pWMyhg
— Mai ★ C2E2 O-18 (@whyst) February 12, 2020
- Speaking of commissions, don’t forget to keep checking our List of Open Artist Commissions. Our own Andy is working around the clock to keep that list update and spiffy. Thanks, Andy!
- Artist Jeff Pina has been hard at work getting ready for the con with lots of new art.
- Looking for artist Ruben Rosas? You’ll find him at WonderCon this April, as well as at a few other conventions.
- Starburns Industries will once again be attending WonderCon. Wherever Starburns goes, chaos surely follows. Offering comics, cassette tapes and art from a wide-range of creators, writers, and artists.
- Author and game designer Andrew Rader will be doing book signings at the con.
- Fellow author and actor Scott Tracy Griffin, author of Tarzan: The Centennial Celebration, will also be appearing at the con — though his Appearances page doesn’t specify where you can Griffin.
- Hero Within fashion designer Tony Kim will be hosting a WonderCon panel at this year’s event, and is seeking a full time cosplayer to join him.
WonderCon panel locked and loaded. See you in April! pic.twitter.com/9uXB805Tzy
— Tony B Kim @ AwesomeCon (@Crazy4ComicCon) February 12, 2020
- Artist Adewale Agbroke Jr. will also be exhibiting at the con.
Be kind, Valentines, and take it easy on that box of chocolates!