Let’s take a look at the news you might have missed:
- Symbiote Studios need your help! They are currently looking for two volunteers to help line manage for two to three hours each day of the convention. If interested, you can let them know on Twitter.
We are looking for two volunteers to help line manage for 2-3 hours each day at #SDCC and the rest of the show do whatcha like. We provide the badges and the exclusives we have for free. Interested? Send us a DM showing a picture of yourself geeking out and why you would like to… pic.twitter.com/4NNoEBD60i— Symbiote Studios® | Toy Manufacturer (@symbiotestudios) May 13, 2023
- And just what will you be line managing? Symbiote will once again be featuring Rock, Paper, Scissors with their mascot, Catnip Bravo at Booth #3249. If you can outsmart Catnip, you could win pins and prizes. It’s always one of our favorite con traditions.
Wed, Jul 19, 2023 – Sun, Jul 23, 2023 We will be at #SDCC with @Catnipbravo giving out pins and prizes for playing Rock, Paper, Scissors. Visit us at Booth 3249. #ComicCon https://t.co/lrWSqvPCqI pic.twitter.com/B35Sb8MJyU— Symbiote Studios® | Toy Manufacturer (@symbiotestudios) May 12, 2023
- There are plenty of other opportunities to volunteer at the con. The Star Trek Enterprise D Bridge Restoration is also looking for your help, so if you’re ready to guide others into the final frontier, drop them a line on Facebook.
- The Hollywood Horror Museum is also looking for volunteers, so if you’re ready for a scary good time, you can let them know on Twitter.
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!— Hollywood Horror Museum (@horrormuseum) May 13, 2023
We have a bunch of conventions coming up including:
San Diego Comic Con July 19-23
Days of the Dead Aug 25-27
Creep ie Con Ontario Sept 23-24
Horrorcon LA Sept 30-Oct 1
LA Comic Con Dec 1-3
If you can help, you'll get in Free, SEND US A MESSAGE, THANKS! pic.twitter.com/UeKvDMl56S
- This Saturday was X-Men Day. How did you celebrate? We’re keeping the festivities going with a sneak peek at some new new custom corner box art from Scott Williams. There’s still plenty to be revealed though, as this is just one portion of a larger exclusive heading for San Diego Comic-Con.
View this post on Instagram
- Speaking of X-Men, artist Dan Veesenmeyer showed off a sneak peek at a new print of Rogue, which he confirmed later was for a piece heading to the con.
I know, I know…I’ve not forgotten about this one.— Dan Veesenmeyer (@dveese) May 14, 2023
Inking Rogue’s hair is just always intimidating to tackle. pic.twitter.com/FFZrAPPsKk
It’s for SDCC but I need to get off my to do list this month. https://t.co/aqqT3LOwNA— Dan Veesenmeyer (@dveese) May 14, 2023
- Artist Nick Kremenek is also currently seeking some help, in the form of narrowing down his ideas for this year’s SDCC Collector Coin. Are you in mood for an Evil Dead/Army of Darkness 30th anniversary coin? Or perhaps a John Wick “NY Continental” piece? You can let him know in this poll.
- Oh, I believe in Yesterday(s). And we believe that we’ll have more Yesterdays San Diego Comic-Con news very soon, as the popular pin maker promised to drop some news next week. We also believe you’ll be finding said news right here on this site.
- “Meet me by the Krapopolis slide” may be a phrase only heard at San Diego Comic-Con — but you may get to say some version of it again this year! The Fox animated series asked their followers which were headed to San Diego Comic-Con this summer, and hinted that the more people that were interested, the more likely “something special” could happen.
🚨🚨 CALLING ALL KRAPOPOLIS CITIZENS 🚨🚨— Krapopolis (💩,🐔) (@Krapopolis) May 12, 2023
San Diego Comic-Con is coming upon us July 19-23‼️
Do you already have tickets or plan on going⁉️
Please let us know by responding honestly in the poll below… the more feedback, the more likely something special may happen 🤔👀👏
- No, we’re not seeing double — but we are seeing spots! Linda Sejic/Sigeel proves that three heads are better than one with this new tease. We’re excited to see the full reveal, hopefully before it makes its way to the SDCC show floor this summer.
working on some more merch for sdcc XD the other 2 heads are not impressed pic.twitter.com/z6MCZfoSsC— Linda Sejic/Sigeel💬 pre-order blood stain vol4 (@LindaSejic) May 12, 2023
- Another artist teasing some big things is Chris Maze, who promised that the new print he was working on for Comic-Con “wrecked him” and is likely his favorite of his new items. We’re ready to be ruined right there with you, Maze.
I hate to be vague, but this new print that I’m working on for #SDCC wrecks me. Probably my favorite of the new stuff now.— Chris Maze (@MAZEhimself) May 12, 2023
- This year’s crop of Her Universe fashion contestants have been selected! The popular Her Universe Geek Couture Fashion Show returns on Thursday, July 20 to the convention, and competing this year will be Mines of Moria, VelmaRipp Designs, The Moral Time Lady, Jill N. Nofziger, Lynleigh Sato, Melissa Lynnette, Kayleigh Michelle, Christine Geiger, SIBERIA, Rachel, and more.
- Fashion show panelists are not the only winners being selected this week, though. Kelli Welli revealed her short film Robots Don’t Tell Jokes will be part of the official selection in the San Diego International Children’s Film Festival.
- You may have to endure and survive to get your hands on this Patrick Ballesteros piece — but we’ll have to live to fight another day in order to see the full reveal, which Ballesteros promises is “not what you expect”. We do love a good mash-up piece!
- Artist Martin Hsu showed off a purr-fect new print, “Fire Kitty”. This 11″x14″ print is available now on his website for $25, and it’s a limited edition of 60. If quantity still remains at Comic-Con time, Hsu will be bringing some along with him.
- The magic is returning to SDCC — and by “magic” we mean Magic: The Gathering. Cascade Games will be running this year’s MTG gaming tournaments at the Marriott Marquis, where you can also learn to play events, enjoy a prize wall, and more. If you’d like to help out, Cascade is currently seeking judges.
- It’s morphin’ time in this new JYK All Day piece, though we’ll have to wait until another time to see the full reveal. You’ll be able to find it at Booth #CC-08 in Artist Alley.
Yo Happy freakin' Friday! Adding a bit more to this piece that wasn't planned initially, but it's definitely for the better. Let the grind continue. It's morphin time! @SD_Comic_Con pic.twitter.com/Iax6gHzj4q— JYK All Day SDCC CC-08 (@JYK_AllDay) May 12, 2023
You might think we’re harping on about the WGA strike too much, but as writer and showrunner Neil Gaiman confirmed on Tumblr, the WGA Strike rules forbid doing promotional panels and events — which includes San Diego Comic-Con.
- Nothing evil about this news: independent publisher Evil Ink Comics is returning to the con this July, at Booth #1732.
- The force is strong with BB-CRE-8, who make a multitude of BB-8 inspired designs. We can’t wait to see what they’re up to for SDCC 2023 — so it’s a good thing they’re already working on this year’s exclusives.
Working on designing #SDCC2023 exclusives!— BB-CRE.8 (@bb_cre8) May 13, 2023
- Keeping your kids entertained during a convention can feel like an impossible task, but illustrator Spencer Brinkerhoff III is here to help. He’ll be bringing some Drawing is Simple kids to the con, though exact details on how to get them are still TBA.
View this post on Instagram
Anything we missed? Let us know by dropping us a line, or tweet us at @SD_Comic_Con.
If you missed our previous Under the Tents 2023 posts, you can find them HERE