Now that badge sales are over, it’s time to start really focusing on what you’ll be filling your schedule at San Diego Comic-Con with. We have updates on several offsite events, how you can attend Comic-Con, several authors and artists, and much more.
Here’s some news you might have missed:
- Author Scott Westerfeld’s newest novel, Afterworlds, will be making an appearance at San Diego Comic-Con, he announced in an interview with Publishers Weekly.
- Clothing company Her Universe will be hosting the “first-ever full-scale ‘Geek Couture’ fashion show and design competition” on July 24 at the Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel at this year’s Comic-Con. Amateur designers and fans can submit their own women’s fashion designs, inspired by anything that is celebrated at Comic-Con, to HerUniversive.com. Submissions are due April 4, 2014, and thirty lucky contestants will be chosen by April 18, 2014.
- Earlier in the year we reported confirmed details regarding The Walking Dead Escape making its return to SDCC 2014. Now we have news of some additional information for you. Skybound Entertainment has revealed via their blog that The Walking Dead #1 cover by Juan Jose Ryp will be available to the first 1,000 people, at each event location, who sign up as either a “walker” or “survivor” for the event. We are still awaiting news for ticket sales for the SDCC event. In addition, those who purchase VIP tickets will receive a black and white variant of the comic cover.
- Artists Mike Yamada & Victoria Ying have posted on their ECA website events page that they will be attending the Con this year. They have given us a sneak peak via their Twitter account at something they hope to share at SDCC:
— Mike Yamada (@michaelyamada) March 18, 2014
- Love Comic-Con and the wonderful world of broadcast news? E3 is holding a nationwide casting call for a host to cover Comic-Con events this summer, and offering $3500 to $5000 per event. Interested applicants must be available from June 7-10, as well as July 23-27, and should submit their social media stats, a demo of previous on-air work, and more. See more at Project Casting.
- Zorilita – Mary Bellamy announced both via her Twitter account and her website that she will be heading to this years Con with a new volume of her Faux Facts – The Truth Can Be Strange. She will also have charms, dolls and possibly some new sketch books and sketch cards. You can find her table at small press area #No4.
— Zorilita – Mary Bellamy (@Mary_Bellamy) March 19, 2014
- Looks like Jon Armstrong, IDW comic book co-creator of the Smoke and Mirrors comic will be attending SDCC. He announced his convention stops via his Twitter account. We will keep you posted of any news we hear of possible signings for his comic.
— Jon Armstrong (@cardjon) March 19, 2014
- The hand-painted web comic, Tiny Kitten Teeth has announced on their website appearances page that they will be headed to San Diego Comic-Con as part of their convention tour.
- Zenescope Entertainment announced their 2014 Age of Darkness comic convention schedule via their blog website. The company will be heading to the Con with exclusives, artist signings, giveaways, coupons and possibly more.
- Former Disney animator and Eisner award winning artist Juanjo Guarnido and Paris motion studio Fortiche are creating a new animated music video for the Swedish band Freak Kitchen. It was revealed through their Kickstarter page that this Kickstarter-funded animated music video is set to premier at the San Diego Comic-Con.
- MyCoolCarStuff.com took to their facebook account to announce that they will be exhibiting at the Con this year. No booth number has been announced yet, but they will have lots of cool products, exclusives and sales.
- w00tstock, the offsite event that’s part music, part comedy, part short films, and all awesome, will be returning to San Diego Comic-Con. Paul and Storm, the hosts of the event every year, announced on Twitter that their location is secured for Thursday, July 24, and ticket information will be “forthcoming”.
BTW, the contract is signed for #w00tstock 6.0.
Thursday, July 24, Balboa Theatre, San Diego.
Ticket info forthcoming.
So there's *that*.
— Paul and Storm (@paulandstorm) March 21, 2014
- Comic-Con’s own version of a fashion show, the Masquerade, now has the rules and entry forms up for 2014’s contest. This marks the 40th annual costume competition, which will take place at 8:30pm on Saturday, July 26, in Ballroom 20. Tickets for general seating will be given out for free beginning at 2PM on Saturday.
Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments.