We’re not even to 2015 yet (though we’re very close!), but we already have enough news or another edition of Under the Tents. While the chestnuts are roasting, sleigh bells are ringings, and everyone is doing their best to wrap up all things holidays and 2014, things are already happening in the world of San Diego Comic Con, and we need to share on small press, Power Rangers, vinyl toy makers, comic book creators, The Walking Dead, and much more.
- Blake Foster, best known as the Blue Ranger in Power Rangers Turbo, announced on Twitter that he can be found at San Diego Comic-Con at Shout Factory’s booth.
- Although no panels have been confirmed for SDCC 2015 yet, panel submissions are well under way. Writer Gray Jones revealed that he is working on his 2015 line-up, with two tentative panels.
— Gray Jones (@GrayJones) November 13, 2014
- Doctor Who comic writer Cavan Scott announced on Twitter that he will be attending SDCC 2015, though it’s not yet known what if he will be attending on a panel, or with Titan Comics in the exhibitor area.
- Also attending Comic-Con in 2015 is author of The Burning Dark, Adam Christopher.
@cavanscott I’ll be at SDCC next year too!
— Adam Christopher (@ghostfinder) November 21, 2014
- Can’t get enough of The Walking Dead at SDCC? One panel that will be happening is the annual The Walking Dead Comics with Robert Kirkman. Earlier this year, Kirkman auctioned off two VIP tickets to the panel for charity on Charity Buzz, with the lucky winner also getting some extra goodies. The rest of us may not get a photo with Kirkman, but at least we’ll get the panel. Here’s are the details from the Charity Buzz auction:
The winning bidder and a lucky friend will receive 2 VIP tickets to The Walking Dead Comics Panel at the 2015 Comic Con San Diego!
You will also get to meet and take a photo with award winning creator and writer Robert Kirkman PLUS take home Robert Kirkman signed Comics!
- Online Comic Strip writer Dave Kellett announced via a tweet that he will be doing SDCC.
Comic shows I’m doing in 2015: Angouleme (France), ECCC (Seattle), TCAF (Toronto), SDCC (San Diego)…and maaaybe the SciFi one, WorldCon
— Dave Kellett (@davekellett) December 8, 2014
- Though marked as “unofficial” by pinup artist Armando Huerta himself, there was a tweet announcing the release of two new books at SDCC 2015, Wilderness and Star-Whores.
- The popular, award-winning comic series CHEW will be hitting some big milestones around San Diego Comic-Con, with author Rob Guillory planning for the release of issue #50 of CHEW at SDCC 2015 and the finale, issue #60, at SDCC 2016.
- Comic book Creator Robert Liefeld tweeted that he will be attending 11 shows in 2015, with one of those being in San Diego.
I'm at 11 shows in 2015 and adding. Cleveland. Indianapolis. Madison. Houston. Phoenix. Anaheim. San Diego. Dayton. Vegas. Canada….
— robliefeld (@robertliefeld) December 13, 2014
- It just wouldn’t be Comic-Con without more Squickerwonkers. Actress and author Evangeline Lilly announced that she expects to have a sketch version of her second Squickerwonkers book at SDCC 2015, where she’ll likely be signing copies at the WETA booth, as she has for the previous two years.
— Evangeline Lilly (@EvangelineLilly) December 12, 2014
- Jon Goldwater, Publisher and CEO of Archie Comics, announced via a Reddit AMA that Archie Comics will attending SDCC 2015.
— Adam Christopher (@ghostfinder) December 16, 2014
- One of the cornerstones of Comic-Con every year are The Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards, the “Oscars” of the comics world.. The judges for for 2015 Eisner Awards have been named, with Carr D’Angelo, Richard Graham, Sean Howe, Susan Kirtley, Ron McFee, and Maggie Thompson serving for 2015. Hop on over to Comic-Con International’s dedicated page for more information about each judge.
- The Cartoon Art Museum, which annually holds a Sketch-a-thon during the convention, confirmed that it will be at SDCC 2015.
The Cartoon Art Museum received its confirmation for #SDCC2015! How many of you plan to attend Comic-Con next summer?
— Cartoon Art Museum (@cartoonart) December 18, 2014
- Getting into San Diego Comic-Con isn’t just a big deal for attendees, but also for exhibitors. Confirmations for Small Press tables, a special section of the exhibitor floor dedicated to members of small and self-published media, have started to go out. Gerrad McConnel, author of an online comic that is being collected and printed into hard copies through Ogopogo press, was one of the first to announce their presence.
Holy shit, we're legit! !! Just got approved for a small press table at SDCC!!!!!
— Gerrad McConnell (@_Gerrad) December 18, 2014
@kerrydixon I do an online book that we collect into hard copies called Ogopogo Press. Super jazzed about making the small press area!
— Gerrad McConnell (@_Gerrad) December 18, 2014
- Cartoonist Lonnie Millsap also received word of a Small Press table, she confirmed on Instagram.
- Comic artist Erik Arrega will also be attending Comic-Con as a Small Press exhibitor, and he promised “big big news” for SDCC 2015 on his tumblr.
- Robin Robinson, the self-proclaimed illustrator of “books about ghosts, monsters, crows, evil circuses, and other things only cool kids” like, announced that she will also be exhibiting as Small Press.
Oh my, I got into sdcc's small press AND eccc's Monsters and Dames art book! A day with only good emails is a unicorn I'm glad to have seen
— Robin Robinson (@RobinRobinsonia) December 19, 2014
- Cartoonist Jeff Pina will be exhibiting at SDCC for the first time in 2015, and you can find him and his work in Small Press booth Q6, he announced on Facebook.
- Zombie and pony caricature cartoonist Stan Yan revealed that he will also have a table in Small Press.
- BeeFy & Co, illustrators and makers of adorably weird toys, took to Instagram to announce that they will be returning to San Diego Comic-Con in booth #5647, next to popular vinyl toymakers Kidrobot. Assuming nothing changes in the next several months, this is big news, as Kidrobot skipped out on having a physical booth for 2014’s Comic-Con, instead offering their exclusives through partner companies.
- Cartoonist and illustrator Patrick Scullin announced on Twitter that he will also be in Small Press, at table P2.
Good News everyone! P2 Small Press has been secured! @TikiMachine #SDCC 2015
— Patrick Scullin (@i_speak_nerd) December 19, 2014
Excited about anything we have announced? Let us know in the comments.