WonderCon is just over two months away – which means that it’s time to bring back our popular WonderPost, where we round up all the latest news about panels, exclusives, exhibitors, and so much more for our readers. And if you haven’t already purchased your badges or secured your hotel room, get on that.
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- Our talented friends at The Ninjabot will be exhibiting at WonderCon, and if you haven’t checked out their work before, you really should.
— Arnel Baluyot (@theninjabot) November 23, 2015
- Artist Steven Gorden, a character designer for X-Men: Evolution and The Ultimate Avengers, will be attending both SDCC and WonderCon this year. You can find more information on his Facebook.
- Nonprofit Prism Comics, which is devoted to assisting the publication and promotion of LGBT comics, is currently accepting applications for the 2016 Prism Comics Queer Press Grant. Comics creators can submit an application detailing why their proposed project is of interest to the readers of LGBT comics, and the winner will receive a monetary award. The winner will be announced at WonderCon, and applications can be submitted now through March 1, 2016. Visit their website for more information.
- Pinups for Pitbulls, a non-profit whose goal is to educate people about the history, temperament, and plight of pitbulls, announced on its website that it will be sharing boothspace at WonderCon with Jessie J. Inspirations. PfP will have a full line of branded merchandise available.
- Reed’s Custom Crafts, which makes stunning 3D illustrations, will be exhibiting at WonderCon this year. You can find Reed’s at table H-10 in Artist Alley.
- What’s outside a convention center can often be just as important as what’s inside one, and the popular Pizza Planet Truck based on the Toy Story version will be making a pitstop at WonderCon this summer. Sadly, they don’t actually serve pizza – but you can probably get a photo, which will last you longer than a slice of pepperoni, even if it won’t taste as good.
— Pizza Planet Truck (@pizzaplanetruck) January 16, 2016
- Disney Visual Development Artist Gabby Zapata has been busy creating art for WonderCon, and showed off a few sneak peeks on social media, including a Gamora painting, and more.
✨👊🏼 Sneak Peek: Gamora for Wondercon! Painted with Holbein acryla gouache. Many more to go! ✨ pic.twitter.com/TjsEuvfMXj
— Gabby Zapata (@gabbyzapata) January 16, 2016
✨👊🏼 Sneak peek of another strong gal I've been painting for Wondercon in March! 👊🏼✨ More later! pic.twitter.com/DeicB22rTg
— Gabby Zapata (@gabbyzapata) January 13, 2016
- Artist Peter Nguyen will also be exhibiting at the convention, and his pre-commissions list is open. Visit his website for more information about how to request a commission ahead of the con.
- Good news, Funko fanatics. Although it doesn’t sound like Funko proper will be heading to WonderCon, their subscription boxes (which include the Marvel Collector Corps, Star Wars Smuggler’s Bounty, and DC Legion of Collectors) will be.
@bearxedge Our subscription boxes will have a booth there!
— Funko (@OriginalFunko) January 16, 2016
- Artist Optik Nourishment showed off a mash-up of Disney and Adventure Time that he will have available at WonderCon this year.
— kris.w (@swaggletoof) January 18, 2016
- Titans of Cosplay, whose goal is to share cosplay from around the world, announced via Twitter that they will be at WonderCon.
- Artist Kevin Clark will be at WonderCon this year according to his Facebook page, and commissions are accepted.
- Jamie Sullivan, a comic book and movie poster artist, will be exhibiting at Table J-04 at WonderCon, and will have exclusives.
- Artist Lacy Joseph can also be found in Artist Alley, at Table I-09.
I got into WonderCon's Artist Alley!!!!! I'll be at table I-09 so come check me out and maybe buy something!! ;P March 25-27, 2016
— Zoro4Me3 🧋 (@Zoro4Me3) December 14, 2015
- Independent artist Denis Caron will be exhibiting at Small Press Booth 32.
- Mike Collins, self-publisher of children’s books and more, can be found at WonderCon at Small Press Booth 37.
— Mike C (@Tiki_Machine) December 11, 2015
- Ray-Anthony Height, creator of Action Lab’s Midnight Tiger, will also be exhibiting at WonderCon.
- Comic artist Nilah Magruder will be exhibiting at WonderCon as well.
- Artist Jessie Velociraptor will be sharing a WonderCon Small Press booth with fellow artist Matt Doering.
— Jessie Juwono (3am Edition) (@jessiejuwono) December 10, 2015