After months of waiting, CCI finally announced the date for Open Registration as April 8. Hopefully, you’ve read our Open Registration Visual Guide. If not, we definitely recommend it. Maybe you’re one of those lucky ones who scored badges at Returning Registration this year. Either way, while you’re gathering your resources for Open Reg or just gathering a hot cup of coffee, we’ve found some more SDCC 2017 info to help you fill out that spreadsheet.
Here’s a look at the news you might have missed:
- Artist Joey Spiotto informed a Twitter follower that he would be in Artist Alley at SDCC this year.
and I'll be in artist alley at SDCC too
— Joey (@JoeySpiotto) March 14, 2017
- Lucha Libre wrestling organization Masked Republic also dropped a little Twitter tease of an appearance at SDCC this year.
— Masked Republic (@maskedrepublic) March 14, 2017
- Comic book artist Ryan Benjamin posted his 2017 con schedule on Instagram. You guessed it: SDCC was there.
- For those hoping that Funko will move to an online-lottery for all days of San Diego Comic-Con to obtain your exclusives this year, similar to what they did at Emerald City Comicon (and also similar to what they did for Preview Night in 2016), Funko mentioned on Twitter that they “hope” they’ll be able to — but that it’s not just on them. Comic-Con International gets a say in how the process is run as well. We’ll have to wait and see what 2017’s final process will be.
We hope so. It's really more about what SDCC is willing to help us facilitate. It's not a Reed show so it won't be exactly the same.
— Funko (@OriginalFunko) March 17, 2017
- Who doesn’t like a good SDCC party? If you’d like to host your own, House of Blues San Diego has open dates at their 5th Avenue venue. They’ll even plan your party for you, so all you’ll have to do is show up and have fun.
— House of Blues San Diego (@HOBSanDiego) March 19, 2017
- Winter may never really come to San Diego, but Comic-Con certainly does. Cosplay Photoshoots would like to hold a Game of Thrones-themed cosplay photo shoot either July 21 or July 22. The exact location isn’t quite nailed down yet, but it will either be at Petco Park (where Nerd HQ used to be located) or the New Children’s Museum (where Nerd HQ has been located in 2015 and 2016). They’re soliciting input from anyone interested on their Facebook Event.
- The Hollywood Science Fiction Museum, which is undertaking the herculean task of restoring the former Hollywood Wax Museum’s USS Enterprise Bridge Set and original crew wax figures, will be at SDCC again this year. You can support this project by donating to their Kickstarter here.
- The Her Universe Fashion Show, which has been a huge success at SDCC, will happen again in 2017. If you’re going to WonderCon this weekend, you can find out more at their panel.