Can you believe that we’re now less than a month from San Diego Comic-Con? News is flooding out of exhibitors and artists like its Hall H, and Star Wars just invited them to a free symphony. Today’s Under the Tents column has news from Traveling Stories, Wynonna Earp, some adorable critters from Moon’s Creations and The Geeky Hooker, commissions from Sean Forney, and a lot more.
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- Way back in April, we reported on Traveling Stories had partnered up with IDW Publishing to bring us The Ultimate Comic-Con Experience giveaway. If you entered their contest, look for a winner announced this Wednesday, June 21, at 12PM PT on Facebook Live. Since they were able to meet their fundraising goal, someone will get the grand prize.
- Speaking of Wynonna Earp, have you been following David Ozer’s Twitter feed? He’s been giving away tickets to Wynonna Earp‘s big SDCC party. He’s already announced a few winners, but he’s set to announce five more this Friday, June 23. To enter for your golden ticket, follow Ozer’s Twitter feed, RT his designated tweets, and follow the hashtag #WinForWynonna.
- In our last UTT, we gave you a look at Martin Hsu’s Tropical Paradise piece he’s working on for Max Toy Company. Mark Nagata, artist and owner of Max Toy Company, shared a video of Hsu showing off his latest masterpiece for them. Look for Tropical Paradise, part of the Kindreds Figure Artist Series, at Martin Hsu’s Booth #4530.
- TBS is certainly no stranger to SDCC. Last year, they brought us the new series, People of Earth. This year, according to adult animation blog Bubble Blabber, they’re bringing another new series, Final Space, to SDCC as a VR Experience. What this entails, we’re not exactly sure, but show creator Olan Rogers did confirm that Final Space will be at SDCC in some form. If it’s as much fun as People of Earth was last year, we have high expectations for Final Space.
- Crochet is all the rage at SDCC 2017. Moon’s Creations’ latest crochet creation is an homage to the late Adam West’s Batman. This adorable Moon Bun will be added to the list of drops made by The Geeky Hooker. Make sure you’re following her Twitter and/or Facebook feeds to know when and where her drops take place.
- With some of the surprising announcements we’ve seen this year, nothing is a given anymore (Nerd HQ’s absence still makes us cry). That’s why we were excited to see Rachel Heine, editor-in-chief at Nerdist, confirm that Conival will be back at SDCC this year. We’ll keep an eye out for the details.
- If you’re part of the late 80s/early 90s MTV Generation X, you may remember animated shorts from Bill Plympton airing frequently between Aeon Flux and Remote Control (and maybe a music video or two). Now, he’s collaborating with Jim Lujan to bring us a new animated film for SDCC, Revengeance. They’re holding a screening (free for SDCC badge holders) at the Marriott Marquis on Friday, July 21 at 10:35PM PT.
- You’ve seen us report on Kymera Press’s latest issues of Gates of Midnight, #7 and #8, set to debut at SDCC. Here’s a look at the cover for Gates of Midnight #8, with art by Amelia Woo.
- Artist Sean Forney is busy getting ready for SDCC this year. Look for him and his Geeky Goddesses in Artists Alley at Table #AA-15. He’s also taking commissions and sketch requests for SDCC. Email Forney at SeanForneyArt@gmail.com with any requests or questions.
- Artist Melissa Sanchez is excited to announce she’ll be at SDCC 2017 with new and old stuff at Geekscape’s booth.
- When a show reboots, the original cast often goes gentle into their good-night. When they rebooted Star Trek, there were three series’ worth of actors who still raged against the dying of the light. What did they do? A lot of them got together and made their own Star Trek-like series, Renegades, on the Atomic Network. Here’s a behind-the-scenes look at their SDCC booth.
- Attention, Dragon Ball Z fans! GeekChic Promotions is hosting the Official Dragon Ball Fan Bash at San Diego Comic-Con on Friday, July 21 from 7PM-10PM at McFadden’s. They’re also excited to announce their Special Guest: DJ Nick at Nite. You can find information, including how to buy tickets, at their EventBrite site.