San Diego Comic-Con news has finally started to pick up, and next week will be no exception, with Mattel’s pre-sale launching on Monday, June 19, and NECA’s pre-sale for home shipping happening on Tuesday, June 20. But before we head into next week, we’ve first got some San Diego Comic-Con 2017 updates for you on everything from how to score some tickets to the Wynonna Earp party, exclusives from Gentle Giant, Scott C, and more, as well as the annual Comic Creator Connection, and much more.
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- We all know comic books are more than just awesome art or pithy lines. Both art and literature have to come together to make a great comic book work. But not all writers can draw, and not all artists have the best way with words. Comic-Con International takes steps to bring writers and artists together with their annual Comic Creator Connection. They’ve set aside two 2-hour sessions on Friday and Sunday for writers and artists to speed-date their way to a new collaboration. Check out CCI’s Comic Creator Connection page for more information and how to register.
- Want to go to the Wynonna Earp SDCC party on Thursday, July 20? David Ozer has a simple way for you to do that. Just follow @WynonnaEarp on Twitter and RT this tweet for a chance to win one of five tickets he’s giving away. Winners will be chosen on Monday, June 19. Ozer also promised that if you watch Wynonna Earp live tonight on Syfy and get #WinForWynonna to trend on Twitter, then he’ll add an additional two tickets to the pot on Monday.
— David Ozer (@davidozer) June 16, 2017
— David Ozer (@davidozer) June 16, 2017
- Our friends at Ninobuni are working on some custom vinyl creations for Booth #5139 at SDCC 2017.
- If you’ve ever been to the toddland booth at SDCC, you know they always have some of the coolest stuff (and one of the coolest booth setups). But toddland needs your help in deciding what free swag they should give away at their booth this year – so go help them out by giving them some suggestions.
- Ninjabot isn’t just about buttons (have you found their super-secret code phrase yet?). They will also have prints at Small Press Booth #L-08, including this one which they offered an in-progress teaser for.
— Arnel Baluyot (@theninjabot) June 15, 2017
- Tech 4 Kids will have a San Diego Comic-Con exclusive Spider-Man Mash’Em – a squishy collectible line – this year. Spidey will retail for just $5, and be available in limited quantities at Booth #1034.
- In our last UTT, we shared an announcement from KRS Comics about Tyler Kirkham’s signing at their booth (#5559) at SDCC on Friday and Saturday. Kirkham shared a little more info, including details of his latest comic, Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe Again. He’s only bringing 1,000 copies of this SDCC 2017 exclusive, so get there early to find him.
— Tyler Kirkham (@TylerKirkhamArt) June 14, 2017
- KRS Comics will have a lot to offer SDCC this year. They’ll also have an SDCC exclusive issue of Unholy Grail #1 from AfterShock Comics available. Author Cullen Bunn will also be on hand to sign one of the only 300 copies they have at Booth #5559.
- Mega Construx, , the new construction toy brand by Mega Bloks, likes to tease. They posted another hint as to what their SDCC 2017 exclusive build might be. Could this be one of the upcoming Mattel San Diego Comic-Con exclusives? Seems likely.
— Mega Construx (@MegaConstrux) June 15, 2017
- Artist Scott Campbell (Scott C) is getting ready for SDCC 2017 by teasing a work-in-progress of his latest sculpture. Do you know what he’s getting ready for us?
— Scott C. (@scottlava) June 15, 2017
- Street Fighter V designer and Storm Collectibles supervisor Kiki will be signing at SDCC 2017, possibly at the Capcom booth. Purchase a figure and get a free signed poster. Stay tuned for details on dates, times, and booth location.
— Streetfighterlegacy (@S_FighterLegacy) June 15, 2017
- Glamour model/”Nerd Girl Next Door” Joanie Brosas announced that she will be at Booth #5007 for SDCC 2017 and invites us to come see her there.
— Joanie Brosas on 𝙏𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙘𝙝 📺 (@JoanieBrosas) June 15, 2017
- U.S.S. Navras, self-described as “a Star Trek version of the 501st Legion,” will be at Booth #MZ-04 raising money for charity with Star Trek-inspired beanies and scarves. Go to their Facebook Event page and let them know you’ll be there to support them.
- Jo Garfein, Executive Director and Co-Founder of Cancer Gets LOST,gave a peek at just how much prep work is involved for their organization for SDCC.
— Jo Garfein (@jopinionated) June 15, 2017
- Icon Heroes replied to an eager tweeter that they’re not sure yet about signings at their Booth #3345, but they are hopeful. We’ll keep an eye out for any announcements from them.
Not sure yet, but hoping …
— Icon Heroes (@iconheroes) June 15, 2017
- Artist J. Scott Campbell once again confirmed that the “D” variant cover for the Mary Jane Avengers series is an SDCC-only exclusive. He also confirmed (rather slyly) that it will be a “Gwen” cover.
Yes, for SDCC. and… Yes 😏
— J. Scott Campbell♠️🎨 (@JScottCampbell) June 15, 2017
- Artist Camilla d’Errico posted a video announcing that Seabunny from her “Surreal Safari” series is coming. Check out the finished product when you visit her at SDCC at Booth #4723.
— helmetgirl (@Helmetgirl) June 14, 2017
- Artist/illustrator Irene Koh updated her Con/Signing Schedule page to include her appearance at SDCC 2017. She’ll have early retail copies of Turf Wars: Part One with her as well as a new collaboration. We’ll keep an eye on her social media feeds for more details.
- Artist James Silvani shook off some cobwebs and delved into his memory vault for some throwback headshots he’ll have available at SDCC 2017.
- Neville Page and Glen Hetrick are doing a panel at SDCC this year, but they need our help. They’re looking for suggestions on anything we’d like to be included in that panel. Go to Page’s Instagram post and offer up any creative (but tasteful) suggestions you may have.
- Neacol and Stanley Miller of Bling Squared Cute Glass are no strangers to good or bad puns. They’re bringing their popular “Eyes Cubes” with them to SDCC this year, which look like they’re a lot of fun to use at parties.
- The ladies at the Kneady Bakers want to remind us that their SDCC Treat Boxes are still available for discounted pre-order, but their prices go back up on June 23. You don’t even need a badge to get one of these sweet, delicious treats, as they’ll be distributing outside the convention center near Hall H on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Remember, $1 from every box sold goes to Operation Smile.
- The mother-daughter team behind Bored Inc., aka tokyobunnie, teased an image of one of four SDCC exclusive pins they’re bringing with them to SDCC this year. Keep an eye out for more info on what they’ll have to offer.
- Niall Westerfield, the creator of The Moon Minis, will have a Pink Moon Mini with them to SDCC Small Press Booth #N-11.
- Victoria Rose and Ann Sindenblad are bringing their Rawrz Toys gemstone-inspired exclusives to SDCC this year. They posted a work-in-progress of their first amethyst-themed set. Show them some love and give them some feedback; they want to know what you think.
- Gentle Giant is getting ready to announce their SDCC 2017 exclusives, starting Monday – though we’ve already seen a few of this year’s offerings. Just like in previous years, Premier Guild members will be able to pre-order SDCC exclusives.
- Aria Raulen (Lauren Echevarria) is excited to announce that she will be working with Emilio Soltero at SDCC and speaking at his panel.
- Artist Justin Bechtold pays homage to Arlyn Pillay with his latest work. You can find this and more at the Arlyn Pillay Art Gallery Booth at SDCC this year.
- Artist Christopher Uminga goes where the wild things are for this work-in-progress of his latest piece for SDCC.
- Artist John Giang shared a picture of his newest Iron Giant piece he’ll have with him at SDCC this year. He also said he has a new spot on the Exhibit Room floor, so we’ll keep our eyes open to see where his table will be.
- Are you a San Diego member of the WeLoveFine Fan Force? If you are, and you’ll be at SDCC, you have the opportunity to help them at their booth this year. Email them at email@example.com to let them know you’re willing to help.
— For Fans By Fans (@ForFansxFans) June 15, 2017
- With two short words, “I’m in,” Erica Schultz agreed to be on Phoenix Shanklin’s “FabGurlz on Comics” panel at SDCC. Stay tuned to our List of Announced Panels for more details.
At SDCC? I'm in. DM me the details.
— Erica Schultz – ⚔️Cristabel on Kickstarter⚔️ (@EricaSchultz42) June 16, 2017
- Lookin’ good, Puddin’! Artist Bill Walko shared his Harley Quinn commission for SDCC. If you’d like something like this from him, he still has nine slots open. Check out his Commissions page for info on prices and how to order.
— Bill Walko (@TheHeroBiz) June 16, 2017
- ‘Til all are one! San Diego artist Scott Hattox is going to have a lot of great work at Booth #1829 at SDCC this year, including the finished version of this Optimus Prime work-in-progress.
- Hero Within is looking for volunteers to help at their SDCC booth this year. Read their announcement for information on how to apply.
— Hero Within @ Amazing Comic Con (@HeroWithinInc) June 14, 2017