We’re slowly waking up from our Odin sleep – which means that as we creep closer to San Diego Comic-Con 2018 (only 168 more days to go!), the news will also slowly begin to pick up. Today, we’ve got an Under the Tents that’s jam-packed with all kinds of news, including exhibitor confirmations, how to score SDCC exclusive merch in May while also cheering on the home team, Comic-Con fashion advice from the cast of Black Lightning, possible impending doom from zombies, and much more.
Here’s a look at the news you might have missed:
- Buy me some peanuts, crackerjacks, and exclusive merch – as Comic-Con is taking us to the ball game. Sort of. Comic-Con Night returns in 2018, this time for the Nationals vs Padres game on Wednesday, May 9. Your theme game ticket includes a Comic-Con Night hat (for the first 1,000 fans who purchase only) as well as a ticket to the game. There will also be a pre-game costume contest in Park at the Park, and themed in-game entertainment. Grab your tickets now and get ready to root, root, root for the home team.
- Author Seanan McGuire announced on her website that she is “heading once again for Geek Prom”, aka SDCC 2018.
- Monkey Minion Press has confirmed its 2018 convention schedule thus far, which includes both Comic-Con and WonderCon.
- You know what they say: If you haven’t already started on your cosplay, you’re already behind. Wait, do people say that? Either way, if you’re planning on a Disney-related cosplay, you might make note that there will be a Disney photoshoot on Sunday, July 23 at 2PM in the mezzanine behind the convention center.
- You’ll be able to find illustrator Caleb King at Artist Alley DD-10 this year.
- Calling all Mouse Guard fans: David Petersen mentioned on Twitter that he believes that BOOM!/Archaia will have pre-signed and numbered copies of Mouse Guard: The Black Axe – Black & White Edition at their booth this year.
I believe BOOM!/Archaia will have copies at SDCC. BUT, they will be coming signed and numbered already 🙂
— David Petersen (@mouseguard) January 23, 2018
- If you already bought that Elon Musk flamethrower, you might be one of the smart ones. Why? Well, because the zombies are up to something at this year’s Comic-Con. Zombie Walk announced on Facebook that something is happening on Saturday, July 21 at 6:30PM – with details TBA.
- Apparel, toy, and housewares company Giant Robot will also be exhibiting at the convention this summer, though details are scarce.
- As will Silver Sprocket, a record label and publisher, who hint that they may have convention exclusives and signings.
- Millennium Collectibles will be exhibiting at SDCC this year, along with a lot of other conventions (mostly in Australia!).
- Artist Genevieve Santos, also known as le petit elefant, is heading to both San Diego Comic-Con and WonderCon. Best of all, she’ll be doing some live drawing at SDCC.
- Carol Kalish (former Direct Sales Manager and Vice President of New Product Development at Marvel Comics) and Jackie Ormes (Dixie in Harlem cartoonist and creator of Patty-Jo ‘n’ Ginger) are the first two official Eisner Hall of Fame inductees for 2018. Four more will be voted on – and you can find more information on Comic-Con International’s site.
- Speaking of CCI, it’s that time of year again – when you have the potential to be included in the festivities in an even bigger way. If you’ve always dreamed of your name appearing in the souvenir book that’s handed out to all attendees (assuming you actually stop by to pick it up!), now is your chance. CCI is looking for contributions (articles, artwork, etc) on various themes, including the 200th Anniversary of Frankenstein, the 25th Anniversary of Hellboy, the 10th anniversary of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and more. The deadline to submit is Friday, April 13 – so check out the details and go make something.
- While they’re definitely getting ahead of themselves as the show has yet to be renewed, the cast of Black Lightning recently told KFMB CBS 8 that they are excited to attend again in 2018. They’ve learned some lessons, though – including that flats are important.
CBS News 8 – San Diego, CA News Station – KFMB Channel 8
- Artist Terry Dodson has revealed a few of his convention appearances for 2018, which include WonderCon at Artist Alley Table D-10, and SDCC at Booth #4706.
- Celestial Comics provide independent CGC signature services at various conventions. While there’s no word yet on which guests they’ll be offering signatures from at Comic-Con, you can stay tuned to their site for more.
- Writer and artist Erik Burham will also be appearing at the convention.
- Claire Hummel – who made the cute, if a little controversial, Comic-Con merit badges last year, mentioned on Twitter that she will “absolutely” be at SDCC.
1. Absolutely, or 2. I just need to MAIL the dang thing to you!!
— Claire Hummel (@shoomlah) January 18, 2018
- It’s really too early for panel news – but the Location Managers Guild holds an annual Hollywood Location Scouts panel at the convention, and they’re planning on returning this summer.
- Eisner Award winning writer Don Rosa revealed on Facebook that he will be at SDCC in July, with more details still to come.
- Espionage Cosmetics, a geeky cosmetics subscription box service, will also be exhibiting at the convention.
- Critical Entertainment, an LA based publishing company, will be debuting their new Planetary Expansion comic series at SDCC. The series, by Christopher Reda and illustrated by Alonso Molina, will follow the sci-fi adventure of a colony Starship heading to a new habitable planet.
- The San Diego Convention Center has been hard at work. You’re not just getting new Ballroom 20 chairs – you’re also getting new chocolate. Convention Center Chair Gil Cabrera teased that he got a taste of the new SDCC limited collectors chocolate bar from Chef D, and the flavors include Kryptonite, S’Mores, Anime, and Dragon Glass. Um, yum.
- Beefypoo has been working hard on this year’s SDCC exclusives, which include a Kyubipoo “Chakra” Mode plush, which they offered a preview of on Instagram.
- Fugitive Toys will also be exhibiting at SDCC in July – along with a whole lot of other conventions. Find the complete list on their website.
- We’re a little in love with sculptor Joshua Margolis’ adorable work – so it’s exciting to see he’s heading to SDCC in July.
- Animator David Derks teased on Twitter that he’s busy creating a SDCC exclusive cover – though we’ll have to wait for more details.
Currently creating a comic book cover for an exclusive at San Diego Comic-Con 2018. So glad I've been drawing and getting my skills up *whew* #sdcc2018 #sdcc #comicbooks
— David Derks (@dderks) January 22, 2018
- Are you a brony looking to make some new friends? There will be a Bronies meet-up on Saturday, July 21 (ages 21+) starting at 11:30PM at the Knotty Barrel. You can find more information on the meet-up page.
- You can find The Moon Minis at Booth #N-11 at San Diego this year.
Anything we missed? Let us know in the comments, drop us a line, or tweet us at @SD_Comic_Con.