With just over a month to go until San Diego Comic-Con 2018, preparation for SDCC is definitely underway. In this edition of Under the Tents, we have more prints from Justin Harder and Patrick Ballesteros, commission openings from Steve Bryant, and lots more SDCC news.
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- We won’t say we’re in love with Justin Harder’s latest print in his Squints series: Meg from Disney’s Hercules. Who do we think we’re kidding? We’re going to move heaven and earth to find this at his Small Press table.
- If you’ve ever wondered what lucha libre wrestling would look like in comic book form, Chido Comics and Masked Republic have your answer. According to Lucha Central, they’ve tag teamed to bring us their new comic book series, The Masked Republic Luchaverse, and plan to debut at SDCC this year with their first issue, The Masked Republic Luchaverse: Rey Mysterio One-Shot. Wrestler Rey Mysterio will be on hand Friday, July 20 to help kick off the comic series.
- If you’re looking for artist Alex Ahad and his Skullgirls, he’s in a slightly different spot this year. You’ll find him on the Exhibit Hall floor at Booth #1730, close to Small Press.
- Artist Nan Hockin is so excited for the new Wreck It Ralph sequel, she’s bringing a little Vanellope von Schweetz with her to SDCC this year, along with lots more small originals.
- DKE Toys offered a sneak peek on their Instagram feed of their SDCC 2018 exclusives. We think Mighty Jabba would approve.
- Freelance illustrator and mind behind Genuine Haha Tony Bui is bringing some new stickers with him to SDCC this year along with his mini prints.
- We previously reported that SkipBro Toys is bringing an “Ewokalypse” to SDCC this year, and according to their Instagram feed, the Ewok army is coming along nicely.
- Actress Gigi Edgley can often be found at SDCC, and she is not skipping this year. The Farscape actress announced via Twitter that she will be signing and paneling at the con this year for a panel called “Romance in SFF&H” – and she’ll be joined by panelists Mark O’Bannon, Marc Zicree, Jimmy Diggs, Claudia McKinney, and Spartacus actor Liam McIntyre. Stay tuned to our Panels and Autographs posts (respectively) for more details as they’re announced.
- If you missed out on ordering an SDCC commission from our good friend, Patrick Ballesteros, you might still have a shot, as he may open up a few more spots in July. Even if he doesn’t, he still has his “Can You Hear Me Now?” series, which you’ll find at Table #DD-08 in Small Press.
- Look for cosplayer Hunter Chrysalis at the Bronies in Uniform panel at SDCC this year on Saturday, July 21.
- Maybe you’ll catch the Golden Snitch when you attend the Fictional Games IRL panel at SDCC this year hosted by US Quidditch and moderated by Tessa Netting.
- Toy Tokyo wants to know who’s going to SDCC this year and what you’re excited about. You can let them know on their Instagram feed and maybe win a gift.
- New York Times Bestselling Author Victoria Schwab announced via Twitter she will be at SDCC this year for her first time as a comics writer and appears to have great things lined up.
- Artist Mary Bellamy announced via Twitter that, along with her Zorilita series, she’ll have new enamel pins with her at SDCC this year.
- A picture may be worth a thousand words, but we’ll add a few to this one from Storm Collectibles, who will have this 1:12 scale Ermac collectible at SDCC this year.
- Turtle Bunny Creations is busy getting ready for the SDCC Art Show, where they’ll have these adorable critters on display, along with some of their art.
- Artist Steve Bryant has opened his SDCC commissions. You can find details about sizes and prices in his tweet below. Shoot him an email at SteveBryantArt@gmail.com to let him know you’re interested. He’s also willing to ship to you (for an additional $10) if you won’t be at SDCC.
- Look for the Kevin Smith biopic Shooting Clerks to debut at this year’s International Film Festival. There will also be an accompanying panel, which will include original cast members from Clerks, in Room 6A from 6:45PM-7:45PM PT on Thursday, July 18.
- Storm King Comics took to Twitter to announce their panel celebrating their story arc, John Carpenter’s Tales of Science Fiction: The StandOff #1, will be back at SDCC this year. Stay tuned to our Panels post for schedule details.