Now that it’s June and SDCC is next month, we’re starting to see some artists begin to reveal exclusives and/or open commissions. In this edition of Under the Tents, you’ll find art from James Silvani, “Le Petit Elefant”, and more – plus, our first real indication of a Hall H film.
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- As we speculated in our Movies of San Diego Comic-Con annual post, where we look at the odds of which films will be gracing the Hall H stage this summer – 20th Century Fox’s The Darkest Minds is certainly the closest release to Comic-Con that Fox has (releasing August 3). Traditionally, that would mean it wouldn’t be at Comic-Con, because it’s simply too close – but there seems to be a trend to pushing films coming out much closer to the convention. While it’s still not confirmed, actor Skylan Brooks, who plays Chubs in the film, recently asked on Instagram, “But who’s going to Comic-Con this year?”. Seems like a pretty good indication we just might see The Darkest Minds at SDCC after all.
- Genevieve Santos, who also goes by the nom de plume “Le Petit Elefant”, finally seems to have found some time to finish her latest print, which she plans to debut at SDCC. You’ll also find the debut of her Filipino food greeting cards, which she’ll also have available online after SDCC.
- Rob Potchak, creator of IMMORTAL and JuniorHighHorrors, shared via Instagram that he will be at Keenspot’s booth at SDCC this year along with Billy Parker.
- Artist Jeff Martinez is getting in on the enamel pin action at SDCC this year with this work in progress he posted to Instagram.
- Mike Van Orden announced via Instagram that he will be making the trek from Thailand to San Diego for SDCC this year. Hopefully, he’s not too jet lagged on the Exhibit Hall floor.
- Come with me if you want to live! Or you could just visit artist Tony Bui and check out his 80’s-themed prints, like the T-800 and Gremlins he posted to his Instagram feed.
- Scott “Fuzzy” Joseph revealed his SDCC 2018 exclusive on his Instagram feed. He’s only making 120 prints, so if you want one, you should find him early.
- Keep an eye on Half Life Comics’ Twitter feed if you’re interested in these free, limited production run of Good Agents at SDCC this year.
We will have a free and very limited production run of Good Agent masks as a SDCC exclusive. More info soon. @comiXology #SDCC2018 #Comicon pic.twitter.com/ASlmFyNDEz
— Half Life Comics (@HalfLifeComics) June 1, 2018
- Disney artist James Silvani announced via Instagram that his SDCC commissions are now open. Make sure you read his entire Instagram post (shown below), as he is very specific when it comes to his commissions. You can email him at [email protected] to let him know what you’d like to order. He’ll also sign a copy of his print, available from Gallery Nucleus, if you bring it to his table.
If you buy one and bring it to me at SDCC, I’ll be happy to sign it fer ya! https://t.co/CDx0Zc2aOL
— James Silvani (@SilvaniArt) June 3, 2018
- Tech retailer ThinkGeek needs our help. They need costume ideas for their mascot, Timmy, to wear to SDCC. See their Instagram post to see how your Timmy can be featured at SDCC this year.
- Rich Johnston from Bleeding Cool shared via Twitter comiXology’s line-up of contributors to their new Originals series. More updates will be announced at SDCC.
Comixology Originals from Kristian Donaldson, Alti Firmansyah, @MrTylerCrook @samhumphries @spookymeggie @kellhound @HopeLNicholson @themikenorton @yesthatmkreed, @marksable @HackinTimSeeley @Iron_Spike @JenVaughnArt and @MagsVisaggs announced at San Diego https://t.co/GdvEpr7jRD
— Rich Johnston (@richjohnston) June 1, 2018
Anything we missed? Let us know in the comments, drop us a line, or tweet us at @SD_Comic_Con.