As I sit here binge-watching Veronica Mars on Hulu and eagerly awaiting this year’s SDCC panel, it occurs to me that by this time two weeks from now, we will be waist-deep in SDCC excitement. Let’s wade into this Under the Tents with news from WETA Workshop, Nan Hockin, free stuff, and a lot more.
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- IDW Publishing is bringing Jonathan Maberry, creator of V-Wars, to Booth #2729. Get there early to get a signature and a raffle ticket for a chance to be in his next novel.
Meet the creator of V-WARS, get something signed and receive a raffle ticket for a chance to be written into a novel by New York Time’s bestselling author @JonathanMaberry! Stop by our booth(#2729) for any of his signings during #SDCC! #IDWSDCC pic.twitter.com/I4T7OYfXiA
— IDW Publishing (@IDWPublishing) July 5, 2019
- Artist Carla Wyzgala treated her Instagram followers to a preview of her print books. Find her books and her at Table #FF-16.
- Another artist keeping her Instagram followers up-to-date is Nan Hockin, whose latest floral watercolor will be with her at Booth #F-11.
- Artist Mark Alvarado’s Sartara #2 cover will be available at SDCC as an exclusive print.
- Planet Awesome announced via Instagram that Sajad Shah will be a guest at Booth #817 and is even taking commissions. Email [email protected] for details on pricing and pick-up.
- Artist Steven Gordon’s Scarlet Witch seems to cross Wanda Maximoff with Negasonic Teenage Warhead, and it’s just one of his many brilliant works you can find it at SDCC this year.
- Bling Squared Cute Glass answered the eternal question of “Why?” with their latest creation, Because, Art, which they’ll have at Booth #E-05. It’s almost as good an answer as “42”.
- La Boriqueña Comics will introduce the world to their next superhero at SDCC with their debut of La Borequeña #1, illustrated by Francisco Rodriguez, penciled by Pink Diaz Art, and inked by Jose Marzan, Jr.
- The Luchaverse lives on at SDCC this year. Masked Republic will once again be at Headlocked Comics’ Booth #1901 with the entire Luchaverse series. Come meet Rey Misterio and pick up all five Luchaverse prequel one-shots in an SDCC-only deal.
- Stop by Table #O-03 in Small Press to see Fanbase Press’s new banner, featuring The Art of Don Aguillo and design by Oceano Ransford, as well as their new series collection, The Sequels, being released early to SDCC attendees.
- Artist Rosemary Reeve is excited to bring her new piece to the SDCC Art Show this year.
Just finished this brand new painting for the #sdcc art show! Really excited to show it off closer in the upcoming days. #sdcc2019 #sdcc19 #sdcc50 #grisgame #gris #comiccon pic.twitter.com/F0dHJ9o8HY
— Rosemary Reeve (@rosemaryreeve) July 6, 2019
- Author Kyle Styron will have his debut novel, Disintegral, with him while he’s at Prism Comics’ Booth #2144. According to Styron, Disentegral is a “transgressive epistolary thriller that’s also hilarious in parts,” so I naturally can’t wait to read it.
I am so happy to announce that I will be exhibiting with @prismcomics at San Diego Comic Con this year. I’ll be there selling my debut novel which is a transgressive epistolary thriller that’s also hilarious in parts.https://t.co/InxBTQmPvl
— Jason (@Jaceless1) July 5, 2019
- Why so serious? Artist Pepe Melan treated his Instagram followers to his Flashpoint Joker sketch cover he’ll have with him at SDCC.
- Artist Mitch Gerads did the artwork for How Did This Get Made?‘s recent tour and is excited to have some prints with him at Table #G-23 in Artists’s Alley at SDCC.
— For all you printing nerds (Like me) it printed VERY WELL. It’s like a fine art print! If you can’t make it out to one of their tour stops, I will also have some at my #SDCC table!
— Mitch Gerads (@MitchGerads) July 5, 2019
- If you like using Pixologic’s ZBrush software, you’ll want to make it a point to stop by Booth #5120, where they’ll be giving away free single-user licenses for ZBrush 2019, among other things.
- Artist Anna Zhuo had to make her banners a little more SFW, so she has some extras she can’t use. She’s decided to offer up her Vampirella banner as a giveaway while she’s at CGC’s Booth #4315 during SDCC.
- Creative-Beast has unleashed the beast and will debut their new Beasts of the Mezozoic t-shirt at Booth #B-03 during SDCC.
Official Beasts of the Mesozoic t-shirts will be debuting at comic con in less than 2 weeks. Here's a look at the final designs! #beastsofthemesozoic #dinosaur #actionfigures #raptors #ceratopsians #SDCC #velociraptor #triceratops #tshirtdesign #prehistoric pic.twitter.com/34phQG5mgh
— Creative Beast Studio (@Beast_SculptKit) July 5, 2019
- If you can beat WETA Workshop’s staffers’ high scores at Dr. Grordbort’s Invaders, you just might win a prize. Stop by Booth #3613 to throw down the gauntlet (or see just how traumatized they are from playing the game).
Can you beat our score on @magicleap? We locked our staff into a testing area and had them shoot robots for 9 hours. Some fell asleep, most of them escaped. But the best ones left behind a high score. Visit the Weta Workshop booth 3613 at #SDCC and see if you can win a prize! pic.twitter.com/Z4DavZuN9I
— Wētā Workshop (@WetaWorkshop) July 5, 2019
- Another artist bringing unique originals is Dave Correia, who will have these colorful painted sculpts with him at Booth #5502. If it’s been purred on, that means it’s filled with love.
Assembling an army for San Diego Comic Con! I’m bringing these colorful little oil painted sculpts with me – mostly for moral support, but also available for you to purchase. They’re each signed, hand painted and purred on by me or my cat. pic.twitter.com/W49JGZJUr6
— Dave Correia (@davecorreia) July 6, 2019
Anything we missed? Anyone you’re really excited to see? Let us know in the comments, drop us a line, or tweet us at @SD_Comic_Con.