We think you deserve a little good news — which is why we’re kickstarting your Monday with lots of awesome updates on San Diego Comic-Con in this edition of Under the Tents. We’ve got an update on our favorite LEGO guy, a paying gig for a comic artist, some comic debuts at the con, pins that are out-of-this-world, and more.
Here’s a look at the news you might have missed:
- LEGO artist and all around cool cat Dan Veesenmeyer may not be at WonderCon this year — but you CAN find him at San Diego Comic-Con 2020.
Sorry but I have no plans to attend NYCC this fall. So far my only confirmed convention appearance and set up will be SDCC in July. https://t.co/9MheaOwNdL
— Dan Veesenmeyer (@dveese) March 2, 2020
- Speaking of cool cats, artist Ash Evans is bringing back her adorable cat creations and other assorted art to SDCC this year, and she has a booth number now: Booth #4820.
- She’s even been busy planning her merch for the con already, like this fun bunny space pin, and other space pins that will be available in blind bag assortment at her booth.
- Artist Juan Muniz is bringing his Ninobuni World brand to San Diego Comic-Con this year with its own booth. Muniz has exhibited at the con before so it’s unclear if this is in addition to his normal space — but it’s great news!
IT’S OFFICIAL!!!!!!! Ninobuni World has been booked for its OWN booth at San Diego Comic con (the original and largest Con in the nation) HELL YEAH!!!!! Super excited. See y’all there. #dowork #ninobuniworld #sdcc pic.twitter.com/ob2LkzMmP9
— Ninobuni World (@Ninobuniworld) March 2, 2020
- Comic creator Corey Lewis shared some exciting news recently. His new graphic novel, PENG!, will be hitting shelves in July. But first it will be debuting at SDCC, at the Oni Press booth.
View this post on Instagram
My next #GraphicNovel just got announced! #PENG! #ActionSportsAdventures is coming from @onipress JULY 2020! 136 pages of “fringe sports” hyper action like #KICKBALL, #HACKEYSACK & #BREAKDANCING like you’ve never seen it before!! Intense sportsmanship, charming lovable characters and the highest concept of #ACTION you can imagine in PENG! #ACTION #SPORTS #ADVENTURES !! . . . Book debuts at #SDCC2020 & I will be there to usher it in! . . . This is a collection of my “PENG-VERSE” sports stories “PENG!” the original kickball comic, “STALL” a fun hackey sack interlude, and “FREEZE” an epic of epic BREAKDANCING story. All the stories are brought together by brand new segments located at the SPORTS SCHOOL the PENG KIDS attend called the “ALL-WORLD SCHOOL OF SPORTSMANSHIP” . . . It all comes together (in 3-color spot color!) to form my best graphic novel to date! This thing gonna be a beaut! . . Pre-orders are up on Amazon.com and you can pre-order at comic shops using code #MAR201997 !! . . . I consider this release the beginning of my PLATINUM AGE IN #2020!!! LETS GOOOOOO!!! 🔥🔥🔥💖💖💖🦶💥⚽
- Independent video game grading and certification service Wata Games announced their first appearance at San Diego Comic-Con will be this year, and they’ll soon be taking submissions.
- Artist and co-creator of Squire, Sara Alfageeh, revealed that she’ll have a whole lot going on at SDCC this year. While exact details are still TBA, she’ll be exhibiting and have a panel.
– Emerald City Comic Con (attending only, Thurs-Saturday) March 12 – 14
– GDC (attending all week) March 16 – 20
– San Diego Comic Con (tabling, panel and table details soon)
– Thought Bubble (guest + tabling, paneling and table details soon)
— Sara Alfageeh (@SaraAlfageeh) February 18, 2020
- Calling all comic book artists! Shooting Clerks is hoping to have a tie-in comic ready for San Diego Comic-Con, and are looking to hire an artist to help them make their dream a reality. Let them know if you’re interested.
In prep for the @shootingclerks release, we’re looking to hire a comic book artist to illustrate a 5 page story for a tie-in comic for San Diego Comic Con 2020. Budget is $250. If interested, comment below. Thanks so much for all ur support and patience – we truly luv u all. pic.twitter.com/an4x19eROu
— Shooting Clerks Movie (@ShootingClerks) March 8, 2020
- Storyboard artist Katrina EK is also excited to be exhibiting at Comic-Con this year, as well as WonderCon.
I am! I’ll have a table at WonderCon and SDCC :>
— Katrina EK (@ksanzo) February 21, 2020
- Be sure to stop by Chronicle Books at the con, where you might run into artist Ta-Te Wu as she demos Cat Rescue.
Me too! Are you going to San Diego Comic Con? I will be there Fri and Sat at @ChronicleBooks booth to help out demoing Cat Rescue 🙂
— Ta-Te Wu (@tatewu1) February 25, 2020