This edition of Under the Tents really has me feeling con season. Why? Well, we have a commission list opening from Christopher Uminga, some works in progress for DKE Toys and Zenescope, a first-timer in Artists’ Alley, and so many more great SDCC announcements. Oh! And some crochet.
Here’s a look at what you might have missed:
- Canadian artist Dawn McTeigue (pronounced Mc-TEG) treated her Instagram followers to a sketch of her SDCC exclusive cover art she’s working on for Zenescope.
- Comic artist/illustrator Colin Lawler shared some of his summer con schedule on Instagram, and we’re happy to see he’s included SDCC on that list.
- BeeFy & Co. always brings the cutest, and weirdest, plushies to SDCC. It looks like this year will be no exception, as they previewed their latest SDCC plushy on Instagram.
- Back in the good ol’ days of the 1980’s, Domino’s Pizza created their mascot The Noid, a mischievous pixie who always ruined your pizza before it got to your door. Mr. Blank reached back to this 80’s icon for his next release via DKE Toys, “Frank the Noid” resin figures. Judging by the hashtags, we’ll see this at SDCC this year.
- Comic publishers Drawn & Quarterly announced via their website they are returning to Booth #1629 at SDCC this year with special guests Ebony Flowers and Seth. Look for more guest and exclusives announcements coming soon.
- Another comic publisher you’ll find at SDCC this year is 2000 AD, who’s excited to return to Comic-Con with exclusives, signings, panels, and a lot more.
- Comic writer Eben Burgoon will be at SDCC this year signing for his latest work, B-Squad: Soldiers of Misfortune #1.
- Another artist whose schedule includes SDCC this year is Raina Telgemeier. While we don’t know much beyond that, we’ll keep an eye out for more announcements.
- Artist Jennette Brown is excited to exhibit her work in Artists’ Alley at Table #DD-14 for her first time. Be sure to give her a warm welcome when you stop by her table to check out her amazing work.
- Pull the lever, Kronk! Artist/toy designer KRONK teased a couple of new vinyl figure designs he’s working on for Kidrobot apparently for SDCC.
- The Baker Street Babes are working hard on this year’s triumphant return of SherlockeDCC. Look for them to announce their sponsors/partners, sneak peaks of prizes, and, most importantly, tickets to be released “soon”.
We'll be announcing our first wave of partners and sponsors for #SherlockeDCC along with some sneak peeks at what you can win!
Ticket information will be coming along soon as well. #SDCC
— Baker Street Babes (@BakerStBabes) May 13, 2019
- Author Jon McGoran was excited to announce the release of his latest work, Splinter, to his Twitter followers. Look for him at SDCC this year as he tours the convention circuit.
Today's the day! #Splintered is now out in the world! I'll be doing events all over, from @BookExpoAmerica to @Comic_Con. But tonight we party w/@WorkhorseBrews @HighPointCafe @FreeLibrary @OpenBookPhilly & @HolidayHouseBks!
Come join us! Info at https://t.co/LJbrBqmkvY#YAlit pic.twitter.com/pvotDmqeUn
— Jon McGoran (@JonMcGoran) May 14, 2019
- Writer/artist Gabriel Hardman appears to be unexpectedly attending SDCC “for a couple days.”
Looks like I’ll actually be at San Diego Comic-Con for a couple days this year.
— Gabriel Hardman (@gabrielhardman) May 14, 2019
- Street artist Christopher Uminga announced via Twitter his SDCC commission list is now open. His list always fills up fast, so visit his online store now for details on how you can order your commission.
My SDCC Commission list is now open. Head over to my shop ( https://t.co/hDnohE1X0t ) to find out about ordering a piece for pick up. Thank you ! @SD_Comic_Con @Comic_Con #sdcc #art #artist #comicart #batman pic.twitter.com/OZzBlhPir7
— Chris Uminga (@Uminga720) May 14, 2019
- Our good friend Patrick Ballesteros shared his latest SDCC mini-original while giving his spoiler-free Game of Thrones ending prediction. I think the last episode will just be George R.R. Martin waking up and telling everyone about the weird dream he had.
After all is said and done I say Tormund comes back to take the throne. Just saying anything goes now 😂.
— Patrick Ballesteros SDCC DD-08 (@PatrickBallest) May 14, 2019
- I’ll let you in on a little secret – we’ve been concerned over the lack of crochet in our recent editions of Under the Tents. Thankfully, PopCult Plushies came along and filled that void with 50 new critters their making to celebrate SDCC’s 50th convention. Their first critter reveal was the adorable, yet deadly, Deadpool plushie.
PopCult Plushies will be dropping all around San Diego Comic Con 50! Keep watching to see which crochet culture icons will be hiding around SDCC! Find one, and it’s yours! #popcultplushies #SDCC2019 #comicon2019 pic.twitter.com/cb4BgpgPm4
— PopCultPlushies (@PlushiesPop) May 15, 2019
Our first reveal! You had better use #MaximumEffort to find this little guy! Look for him to drop on Thursday July 18th at #SDCC #SDCC2019 #comiccon #popcultplushies #giveaway #freebies #Deadpool #Marvel pic.twitter.com/0hSxpiHqWH
— PopCultPlushies (@PlushiesPop) May 15, 2019
- New York Times bestselling author Joshua Williamson let one of his enthusiastic fans know he’ll be at SDCC among his other conventions this summer.
My cons for the year are MegaCon in Orlando, Florida this weekend, SDCC, Rose City in Portland and then NYCC. I might have a store signing in August. Thanks!
— Joshua Williamson (@Williamson_Josh) May 15, 2019
- Artist Nick Bradshaw was recently profiled on CBC for his contributions to Marvel Comics #1000, which is expected to be previewed at SDCC.