We hit the floor of the Javits Center in New York City to get the early word on this year’s San Diego Comic-Con exclusives, from many of your favorite exhibitors. Although the general word from representatives was that it was a bit too early to start talking specifics, due to pending design approvals and licensing deals, we did get several hints and one solid piece of info we were able to smuggle out of the Funko booth about the Hero of Canton.
- tokidoki wouldn’t talk specifics on its 2014 SDCC exclusives, but representatives did confirm to us they will have some for this year. As the story with many other exhibitors, the company is just waiting for final approvals before it can share any information.
- Dark Horse was also at Toy Fair, and we asked representatives if they could share with us any information on this year’s exclusives. As you might recall, last year the Oregon-based producer of comics and licensed collectibles brought a ton of great merchandise from Game of Thrones, Hellboy, Domo, and Mass Effect. It also launched its own store at the Dark Horse SDCC booth, and we were told that did very well for them. So well, in fact, they are looking to expand on their exclusive line-up and bring more to SDCC than ever before. Which exclusives, we can’t say, but we will say if you were a fan of the licenses mentioned you should be pretty happy about this year.
- We got a tour of the McFarlane Toys booth and saw the upcoming merchandise from The Walking Dead license. Watch the video below to get a glimpse of the great figures and statues they are releasing in 2014, including the amazing Season 4 Blu-ray special edition packaging – push down the walker’s arm, and the head turns and the discs pop out!
During our tour we asked if they could share their plans for SDCC, and we were told only that they are working with Robert Kirkman’s Skybound Entertainment on a Walking Dead exclusive for this year’s convention.
- Bluefin Tamashii Nations has been a staple of the collectible community at SDCC for years, and they will definitely be back in San Diego with highly detailed exclusive figures. Check out the Toy Fair booth tour below to see what retail product they have in store for 2014.
A couple of things worth mentioning during our tour. First, we noticed the Chogokin Hello Kitty 40th Anniversary figure featured in the video above was listed to be released in July. Checking if that meant it might be an SDCC exclusive, we were told it would be a normal retail release but might debut at at the convention. When we pressed for specifics on what might make it as an exclusive, Bluefin representatives hinted that Dragon Ball Z fans would be pleased.
- Everyone’s favorite toy company Funko was showing a ton of new Pop! Vinyls and bobbleheads at Toy Fair, as well as their upcoming lineup of ReAction licensed retro action figures in conjunction with Super7. You might remember Super7 debuted the ReAction line with their retro Alien 3.75″ action figures at last year’s SDCC, and the company is already hinting at some playsets in the product line as one of this year’s exclusives.
But Brian Flynn, the owner of Super7, was able to share with us their first announced-exclusive for 2014. Do you see this ReAction Firefly Jayne Cobb? Browncoats might notice something very important is missing in the retail release…
Well, Funko’s first announced exclusive will be a Jayne Cobb ReAction figure with his famous hat, which was carefully hidden in the ReAction display at the booth.
We’ll have a complete Funko booth tour and interview with the owner of Super7’s Flynn coming early next week, so be on the look out for it.
Which exclusives are you looking forward to most? Let us know in the comments.