Open Registration is this weekend, which means that by the end of Saturday, odds are very high you’ll know if you’re going to San Diego Comic-Con or not (especially as CCI has confirmed no badge resale this year). But we already know a lot of things you can look forward to at this year’s convention, including news of our first Funko SDCC exclusives, our favorite offsite Nerd HQ, The Expanse, Xbox, and much more.
Here’s a look at the news you might have missed:
- While they’ve been saying it for a few months, just a reminder that the best San Diego Comic-Con offsite around, Nerd HQ, will be returning in 2017 to the New Children’s Museum. No word yet on any other details, but wherever they are, it’s sure to be awesome.
— Nerd HQ (@thenerdmachine) April 3, 2017
- We’ve got our first official word on two different Funko exclusives we’ll be seeing at San Diego Comic-Con this summer. While there’s no specifics on specific characters, we can tell you that Funko is “kind of freaking out” over an “awesome DC character” that will become a rare Dorbz, and that Entertainment Weekly is reporting that there will also be a SDCC-exclusive Mr. Robot Pop!. Now we’re kind of freaking out too.
We may have just found out an awesome DC character will be a rare Dorb at SDCC. We're kind of freaking out over here.
— Funko (@OriginalFunko) March 30, 2017
- While far from confirmed, Funko Pop Nerds has a sign that Barnes and Noble will be getting four shared SDCC Funko Pop! exclusives this year, and the odds are high they’ll be available both in-store and online again (note: These have a different sticker than the actual SDCC ones).
Barnes and Noble is gonna get at least 4 shared exclusives for sdcc. pic.twitter.com/yYZ64FnxdF
— Funko Pop Nerds (@FunkoPopNerds) April 3, 2017
- Also in the realm of pure speculation, at a recent convention, Teen Wolf actress Holland Roden mentioned that while San Diego Comic-Con 2016 was supposed to be the series last visit to San Diego, with the final episodes airing so late this year, a 2017 panel isn’t out of the picture now.
[NEWS] Holland said last year's SDCC was supposed to be their last con bc they thought 6b was going to air earlier, but now she's not sure.
— Stydia News (@StydiaNews) April 3, 2017
- Good news, fans of The Expanse! The official Twitter account for the series writer’s room comfirms that they will “definitely” be at SDCC this summer. While that doesn’t guarantee a panel, it’s a pretty safe bet.
#theexpanse will definitely be at SDCC17!
— The Expanse Writers (@TheExpanseWR) April 2, 2017
- Visual artist Nooligan will be exhibiting at San Diego Comic-Con this summer, in addition to other conventions like Boston Comic Con and Phoenix ComicCon.
- Dan Berry and his graphic novel, Verdacomb, wrapped up WonderCon weekend by revealing that they’ll be exhibiting at San Diego Comic-Con as well.
— VERDACOMB (@VERDACOMB) April 3, 2017
- Writer and artist Elizabeth Watasin announced on Instagram that Kim Dwinell’s Surfside Girls: The Secret of Danger Point, will be heading to SDCC this summer.
- Master crocheter Jennifer Nolan will be back on the exhibit floor in Artist Alley this year with more adorable creations – and she’ll also have an Art Show display.
It is almost time for Comic Con season! These are the items I sold at my booth last year at San Diego Comic Con. This year I will be back with a Artist Alley booth and an Art Show display! Let me know what items you think I should make for this year! #sdcc2017 #sdcc #comiccon #artistalley #amigurumi #amigurumitoy #crochet #crocheter #crocheting #crochetersofinstagram
- Actress Mayim Bialik posted on Twitter about being excited about San Diego Comic-Con. An appearance on the annual The Big Bang Theory Writer’s Room panel, or just attending? Time will tell.
— Mayim Bialik (@missmayim) April 4, 2017
- No surprise, but Xbox has confirmed they’ll be returning to San Diego Comic-Con in 2017. We’ll have more details as they’re available.
- Russian comics publisher Bubble confirmed to Comics Alliance that they’ll be at Comic-Con, where they will be presenting “a lot of the exclusives, including [a] debbed version of [their] first movie, Major Grom“.
- Creative agency Neuron Syndicate is working on some “amazing exclusive designs” for Fox Home Entertainment for SDCC – but are sworn to secrecy, so we’ll just have to wait for more.
— Neuron Syndicate Inc (@neuronsyndicate) April 3, 2017
- Illustrator Jamal Jones will be exhibiting at the convention.
Got a table at #SDCC2017 can't wait to see you cool heads out in California!
— Jamal Jones (@wildmooseking) April 1, 2017